Mixer for spoken word ?

obrienaj

I'm interesting in getting a home mixer to add my spoken (not sung) audio to music tracks mixed on Adobe Audition for later broadcast on a radio station. I could do all this at the station but I figure doing it at home might be "fun". I do not need to use the mixer for music, just adding my voice, so I assume I don't need much (using a mixer is the only way I can figure out to get audio in to may PC with a real mic versu the PC mixes).

I actually did find my 20 year old Radio Shack mixer today and it still works. I have not bought a mic for the home set-up yet , so I can't test the mixer's sound quality. Am I correct in assuming that although the audio quality relies much on the quality of the mic and the amplification system utilized, the mixer's quality will have a lot to do with the overall audio quality? Additionally, am I correct in assuming that technology has changed so much in the past 20 years that modern inexpensive mixers will be much better than my old Radio Shack mixer ? :confused:

i would definitely not use a shack mixer.
for spoken word i would look around for an older sm7 mic by shure used or senn 441 or 421 that have not been abused and work like new.
or for a cheap 50 buck mic . demo a cad gxl into that compact 4
which i suspect will sound good or into a yamaha mg mixer.
note that the cad will need 48 volt phantom power provided by the mixer.
peace.
ps. search under my name for lots of tips ive posted in the last year.

Back