Members average number of rack units and a list...

How many rack units do you have ?

Votes: 67 12.5%

Votes: 49 9.1%

Votes: 44 8.2%

Votes: 45 8.4%
  • 5-7

Votes: 128 23.8%
  • 8-10

Votes: 68 12.7%
  • 12-15

Votes: 33 6.1%
  • 16-20

Votes: 35 6.5%
  • 21-30

Votes: 25 4.7%
  • 31+

Votes: 43 8.0%

• Total voters
I'll try to get some pics up of the newly painted studio, as soon as I can find my camera. I moved it when I cleaned out the room.

As a matter of fact, where's my console?

Damn. The house is missing.

Here's an analog player I have in a place of honor. Well, it's actually a museum piece; mine looks like hell. But I have a bunch of cylinders for it.

180.jpg

I've recently downsized to just two Lexicons - an MPX110 and a MX200. They compliment my dual Tascam 2488 setup nicely - 5 effects sends and 16 insert compressors. More than enough for my needs!

I still have a dBX 215 Graphic that I used on the last album. Not sure if I should sell this or hang on to it "just in case".

Is there any point in getting loads of rack units except a good compressor and preamps, as most rack modules you can get in vst format on your DAW.

Is there any point in getting loads of rack units except a good compressor and preamps, as most rack modules you can get in vst format on your DAW.

it's never the same. i just got a lexicon pcm42 and let me tell you i have not heard a plugin delay that sounds like this. it's unreal.

it's never the same. i just got a lexicon pcm42 and let me tell you i have not heard a plugin delay that sounds like this. it's unreal.

Yeah, plugins sound like the real thing until you hear the real thing.

That said, I do like my PSP 42 delay plugin. But I don't expect it to have the mojo of the real PCM42.

Nice to have a few units to put in cans for vocalist. I always record dry, and always use plugins. Just easier, and most people not only never know the difference, but they don't even know what they are listening for.

2 6U racks
Rack1 - compact easy to move system.
Small Room Acoustic sound and mic pres for dual mic guitar amp
Furman Pl - power
Peavey Arch Acoustics PA - small pa or monitors
BBE 462
Furman MM8A Mixer
Alesis AcoutiQ - Acoustic Guitar Mic and High Z (10M ohm) piezo channel
Alesis Digitube/Blue Max - Vocal channel/compressor
Alesis Bluetube dual pres to amp mics
Presonus nanoverb - basic effects
Rack 2 - for medium size room and 3 piece mostly acoustic band
Behringer 1202 Mixer
m8 Furman power
ART TPS II - two more vocal mics for friends
ART TPS - two more guitar mics
ART FXR Elite 2 - Nicer effects
Gem 350 - Medium Room PA Main

As you can see its pretty lowend gear but I think so far I've done the research and found a good sound quality for the buck. Joined the forum to expand to a recording capability. Hoping to put down 1-2 tracks at a time. Pretty much me playing everything.

hehe....he said "Art" and "nicer effects" in the same sentence.:D:D

All kidding aside though, it's not about what you have...it's what you can do with it.

A grace m101 and profire 610 share a rack tray. Below that Is an Alesis 3630 compressor. It's not plugged in though - just there to keep the tray from bending.

I also have a power conditioner...does that count:confused:

One of the few that hasn't much invested and NO Behringer.....

AP Audio Patch Bay
Alesis M-EQ 230
Alesis 3630
Alesis Microverb 4
Alesis Midiverb 3
Audio Control 2XS crossover
NAD 2100 Monitor amp (high pass)
Kenwood Basic M2A monitor amp (low pass)

Though.....I'm thinking of getting rid of the Midiverb 3 and getting a Lexicon MX200

Last edited:
Hmmm....

I probably replied to this a long time ago, but I have less fancy stuff now.

Now that I record mainly on a Yamaha standalone recorder, I actually am not using any rack units these days other than MIDI gear, most of which is rather ancient, like an Opcode Studio 4 and a TX802. If I ever go back to tracking on tape, that would change and more of my old stuff would see some use.

Small, non-rack gadgets that actually get used:
Samson DI
RNC
Rolls headphone amp
Shallco stepped attenuator
SoundDevices MixPre.

Rack unit that's plugged in:
Roland SVC-350 Vocoder.

Rack units that see a little use:
MXR Digital Time Delay
Roland DEP-5.

Rack units that don't see much use:
Pair of Roland SMX-880 line mixers
DOD stereo graphic EQ
Furman crossover
PAiA stereo compressor
PAiA Tube Head
PAiA dual limiter
PAiA ducker/gate.

The other gadget I have that actually does see a lot of use is a red box which is a frame for a number of PAiA kits I made about 25 years ago from the Anderton Electronic Projects series. I made it as a custom, two channel instrument preamp/tone control for The Stick (and for electric guitar and bass.)

I'm planning to pull that thing apart and put the two compressor/limiters in a small console box with a pair of tunable 6 dB/oct low pass filters, all of which I use on electric guitar, bass and Stick. That will serve as a handy two-channel instrument preamp.

I think I'll put the two active state-variable filters (Super Tone Controls) in their own little enclosure with a pair of tunable passive 6 dB/oct HPFs and a pair of tunable 6 dB/oct LPFs.

Rack unit I'd like to own:
2-channel SPL Transient Designer.

Small gadget I'd like to own:
AEA TRP.

So, 10 rack units total (other than MIDI instrument stuff), but only three of them really see any use. Five little gadgets see a lot of use plus my custom built instrument preamp that I'm about to tear apart. :)

Cheers,

Otto

Below that Is an Alesis 3630 compressor. It's not plugged in though - just there to keep the tray from bending.
Jeez, plug it in, the lights are pretty, but I think even the Alesis manual states that you could damage your signal chain by mistakenly routing audio into the input

Back