Looking for a Mic Preamp / DI

yes, I like adding character in the sound, my budget's around 2000 is ok, UA LA610 MKII got a good sound i though, but want to know any others in this price range is good?

I use a Jensen Twin Servo by John Hardy. Lots of people consider it the best pre made and it might be. It sounds very expensive and John fixed mine with no receipt for free (15 years after I bought it and he paid shipping!).

That and the Summit and a Neve board are the only ones I have experience with that I could recommend. They are all above the $2K you mentioned.

The Summit mic pre I know sounds correct. The Summit and Neumann stuff I've bought is worth more than I paid for it so in a way it's the cheapest stuff to use.

I posted a thread today that nobody seems to know about https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=297469
From what I can tell they are the bargain as far as pre's go - that is if they are truly what they claim to be. But a Neve N72 assembled two channels would be something like $1400 from them, $1100 if you can solder, so that seems like the bargain basement for pre's... 4 channels N72 or Jensen 990 would do you $2000 or so and for a Neve or Jensen quality (if it's true! - read up on Gearslutz etc...) then Seventh Circle seems like the way to go - they are USA made.

I wouldn't buy a good pre until I had at least a U87 or better mic.

...Great River ME-1NV...killer mic pre goes from "smooth" to "mojo" like no other...skip the 610...not versatile...I'd take transformers over tubes anytime...iron in-iron out!...;)

...and if you don't already have a high quality dynamic mic, you might want to think about a Shure SM7B...great in combination with the GR pre, for big "in-your-face" vocals...more "old-school" vibe than the typical LDC mic...

I wouldn't buy a good pre until I had at least a U87 or better mic.

:confused::confused::confused: ...guess I better return my pres...

Last edited:
really thanks for your answers, but I want to buy a compressor inside ....any suggestion? thanks for reply!

Back