Looking for a decent Preamp

Is this actually a good preamp or are you recommending it because the VU meters look cool?

No I'm not recommending it because the VU meters look cool :mad:!!
I'm recommending it because after trying the Focusrite Trakmaster Pro, Studio Projects VTB1, Behri pres, Soundcraft M8 pres and even an SPL Goldmike 9844 I prefered the sound of the DMP3!!!!!
It is a very decent mic pre that doesn't colour the sound and is extremely clean. It really is a very good pre and I'd need to spend a LOT more to justify an upgrade!

No I'm not recommending it because the VU meters look cool :mad:!!
I'm recommending it because after trying the Focusrite Trakmaster Pro, Studio Projects VTB1, Behri pres, Soundcraft M8 pres and even an SPL Goldmike 9844 I prefered the sound of the DMP3!!!!!
It is a very decent mic pre that doesn't colour the sound and is extremely clean. It really is a very good pre and I'd need to spend a LOT more to justify an upgrade!

I had to ask. I'm looking for a small, inexpensive dual-channel preamp for a portable setup. I had never heard of this thing 'til I saw you mention it, but when I saw pictures of it on their website, well... I have a hard time taking a piece of inexpensive gear seriously when it has a pair of gratuitous VU meters stuck on it. It seems this preamp has been recommended by so many people on this board, however, that I may have to check it out, as corny as the meters may be.

I like the meters, you could always put duct tape over 'em if they bother you so much. Good pre, great price, nuttin' flashy, just pretty clean signal

The DMP-3 is the closest thing to a decent 2 channel preamp in your price range. Is it a Pendulum, Avalon, Martech, etc.?- No. Is it a good deal for the price? Yes.-Richie

Just to be different and buck the tide ... I'm going to say get a used Symetrix sx202.

There's absolutely nothing corny or pretentious about it in the least. In the looks department, at best it could be considered bland, or just plain ugly at the very worst.

It was kind of the dmp3 of it's day. Pretty close to the same basic thing; similar design philosophy and components. Probably no real advantages to either, sonically. But from a durability standpoint, I would feel a lot better about the Symetrix if I were to drop it down a flight of stairs ... but other than that, you're looking at the same basic sort of thing.

Apparently it's a popular one to mod as well (the "Monte" DIY mod and others). I think Jim Williams offers the high speed pre upgrade to the 202 as well so down the line if you ever feel like you've outgrown it and can drop some coin on it, you can have that done as well basically use it's shell and knobs (and power supply) to get a couple of highly touted pres.

I like the meters, you could always put duct tape over 'em if they bother you so much.

It's not that they "bother" me, it's just that the only reason companies put cheap, innacurate VU meters on their gear is to impress the impressionable, which might suggest to a reasonable person that what they are selling might not be that great.

Good pre, great price, nuttin' flashy...

Those VU meters are pretty flashy, if you ask me.

I had to ask. I'm looking for a small, inexpensive dual-channel preamp for a portable setup. I had never heard of this thing 'til I saw you mention it, but when I saw pictures of it on their website, well... I have a hard time taking a piece of inexpensive gear seriously when it has a pair of gratuitous VU meters stuck on it. It seems this preamp has been recommended by so many people on this board, however, that I may have to check it out, as corny as the meters may be.

Do a search here, you'll find a LOT of positive reviews. Got it, use it, like it.

Just to be different and buck the tide ... I'm going to say get a used Symetrix sx202.

There's absolutely nothing corny or pretentious about it in the least. In the looks department, at best it could be considered bland, or just plain ugly at the very worst.

It was kind of the dmp3 of it's day. Pretty close to the same basic thing; similar design philosophy and components. Probably no real advantages to either, sonically. But from a durability standpoint, I would feel a lot better about the Symetrix if I were to drop it down a flight of stairs ... but other than that, you're looking at the same basic sort of thing.

Thanks. I've never used any gear from M-Audio, but from the items I've seen on display in stores, their stuff does seem pretty flimsy.

Back