Looking for a 4 Channel Pre-Amp

DM60

Looking for recommendations or guidance on a 4 channel mic pre-amp.

Here is the intended use, mainly drum mics (Kick, Toms, Snare) going into Tascam 1800. When I record live, everything is going through microphones. Since I am using 7 microphones on the drums, I am actually using all 16 inputs to the Tascam. I have been looking at the Nady but I am a little reluctant to purchase this unit. I don't need the 8, but I just won't use 4. Hoping to get 1/4 and XLR inputs (dual input).

What I ones have found to date are either really low end or up in the 1K+ range. Maybe if I get good enough I can start to think about upgrading, but right now, trying to keep my addiction manageable. Wanting to stay under $200. Hopefully I have provided enough information. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

How are you planning on running the preamp into the Tascam? It sounds like you have all 8 mic preamps and all 8 line inputs in use. It does have a stereo S/PDIF, but that would only afford you input from 2 more preamps.

@ Tadpui - I have the S/PDIF already in use, thanks to Jimmy, I am using those as my OHs. With two line ins on the front, I have gain control and I am getting a good signal out of those two. The other 4 just give nothing. These are drum mics, so I expect they are not that sensitive.

@Mark - Not sure that would give me a problem (key word, not sure) as the drum mics are not hot and the Tascam does have a -10/+4 switch, so that might not be a problem. I would prefer rack mount as I have everything in a carry bag, plus my power strip, that way all on my connections in the back done, to include my laptop power. I just pull out the power cord on the strip, plug in, boot up and start micing from the front. (It gets dark in there ;) ) I have a Mackie version of this mixer, plus I wanted to keep the channels separate.

I am finding live recording a challenge, but really good learning experience.

Thanks for the information.

Oh OK I think I see now. So you're using 12 of the 16 inputs altogether right now. The other 4 are line inputs that need preamplification. I'd bet that the 2 front-panel line inputs are switchable between line and instrument level, or maybe they're dedicated instrument inputs? Otherwise I wouldn't imagine that you'd be getting any signal out of them without a preamp.

So you're looking for a 4-channel preamp with combo 1/4" and XLR jacks, that outputs 4 line-level signals preferably via balanced 1/4" jacks. I shopped around a bit and jeez, this is one of those holes in the market. As weird as it sounds, you might be better off looking for an 8-channel preamp from the likes of Presonus, ART, Focusrite, etc. They seem to all have entries in the $300-$500 range for a 8-channel rackmount preamps with analog outputs. Nady has one for just over $100 but that one scares me...

If it were me, I think that I'd be eyeing the Presonus Digimax D8 at $400. Solid reputation for preamp quality, and it has ADAT if you ever grow out of the US1800 and into something with an ADAT input.

So you're looking for a 4-channel preamp with combo 1/4" and XLR jacks, that outputs 4 line-level signals preferably via balanced 1/4" jacks. I shopped around a bit and jeez, this is one of those holes in the market. As weird as it sounds, you might be better off looking for an 8-channel preamp from the likes of Presonus, ART, Focusrite, etc. They seem to all have entries in the $300-$500 range for a 8-channel rackmount preamps with analog outputs. Nady has one for just over $100 but that one scares me...

Yes, you've summed it up correctly. The Nady gives me cause for concern as well. Big gap in price.
If it were me, I think that I'd be eyeing the Presonus Digimax D8 at $400. Solid reputation for preamp quality, and it has ADAT if you ever grow out of the US1800 and into something with an ADAT input.

This is good advice and something fro me to consider. Thanks.

I'll try again....

I hold ART stuff to be a step above Nady and probably Behringer...

ART MX821S - Eight-Channel Mic/Line Mixer with Stereo MX821S B&H

Did I do better this time around? :)

View attachment 90757

Stereo out - It is all about control ;)

This has everything I need (OK, want), SM Pro but, once again, not sure about the name.

It is not like I have the greatest mic set, maybe just get this, get some more experience and then upgrade.

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

When I got my Dual MP I thought it was the bee's fucking knees. Course, I was comparing it to the built in pres on a PortaStudio and a Mackie mixer, so... As soon as I stopped using it, everything became a lot nicer sounding.

I have that Nady 8 channel thing, and haven't really noticed anything terrible about it. OK, I had some ground loop issues to begin with, but it hasn't been bothering me lately though I'm not sure what I did to fix it. I'm not really hitting it with particularly hot signals though, and was not aware of the fact that the pot comes after the gain stage. There are such things as in-line pads if the mics you're running through it are too sensitive and don't include pads of their own.

OTOH - have you tried just plugging the mics into the line inputs and using ITB gain tools to get the signal up there? Depending on what else is going on, it just might work. It might just be horrible noisy shit, but maybe if you use those channels for more sensitive mics and/or louder (and less dynamic) sources...

A funny thing. First, I probably should had :RTFM: The switch on the inputs (+4/-10) looks to do the opposite of what I thought. I had it on +4 and pretty much killed the incoming signal. I should have set it for -10. I tested this and the signal was much better. I was thinking for a drum mic gain wouldn't be needed, I think this is still correct now I have tested it. So I will try another session without the preamp.

@Ashcat - Since you have tried the Nady and have no issues, that or the SM Pro (which looks exactly what I require) might be my go to solution if required.

Thanks everyone. Especially Jimmy for the offer. (I still may take you up on it. PM me if you have a price in mind.)

the -10/+4 thing , I always forget because who changes it often? its on a lot of gear but not something i ever change the setting of.

I wonder what the switch is actually? Is it a resistor that drops part of the signal? or a small OpAmp that adds a little gain?

So you're saying the +4 dropped the signal and the -10 boosted it?

the -10/+4 thing , I always forget because who changes it often? its on a lot of gear but not something i ever change the setting of.

I wonder what the switch is actually? Is it a resistor that drops part of the signal? or a small OpAmp that adds a little gain?

Here is what the manual states:

INPUTS (BALANCED) jacks and LEV switches
INPUTS(11-14) are standard TRS balanced input jacks.
Use the LEV switches to set the nominal level to either
–10 dBV (−10) or +4 dBu (+4).

Then from the specs:

Line input (Balanced) terminals (LINE IN 11-14)
Connector: 6.3 mm (1/4”) TRS Standard phone jack
(Tip: HOT, Ring: COLD, Sleeve: GND)
Input impedance: 10 kΩ
Nominal input level: –10 dBV (0.3162 Vrms)/
+4 dBu (1.228 Vrms)
Maximum input level: +6 dBV (1.995 Vrms)/
+20 dBu (7.746 Vrms)

If I read this right, the -10 allows for lower input. On the manual it shows keyboards and a sound module connection. Which is amplified. It is not gain like I was thinking. With a source like drums, there should be enough sound without the need for a preamp. I tried it with a simple vocal (check check kind of thing) and got a good signal. A drum will be much louder.

If it does require a preamp, I have one in mind.

Who knows? You'd need a schematic or a good careful look at the innards to find out for sure. Considering that the ADC chip is probably looking for signals less than 5V peak to peak, it makes more sense for it to be attenuation, but...

For an input, switching to -10dbV will give a higher level in the box because 0dbfs is equated to a smaller voltage. For an output it's almost the opposite since again 0dbfs creates a smaller voltage at -10.

Back