Lexicon PCM-91 vs Klark Teknik DN780

mfretton

Maybe it's a stupid question, but does anyone here have any comments on the Lexicon PCM-91 versus the Klark Teknik DN780. I've an opportunity to buy one or the other (but not both!) & can't decide.

Clearly the DN780 is an old unit, however I've read really good things about the sound, but the PCM-91 also seems to be the best dedicated reverb unit you can get without buying...a Lexicon!

I'm after warm natural recreations of small, medium & large size rooms, as well as plates, and generally can't stand the sound of digital units.

Matt

I have both those units.

The PCM-91 is a Lexicon.

Both these units are digital reverb units, but sound very different.

If this will be your first "good" reverb I highly suggest going with the PCM-91. It has a wider selection of sounds and is more recent, which means a lot as far as reliability, etc.

The Klark-Teknik unit is from the 80's and I believe they have several common problems that crop up with them now. I'd be very leery of buying one unless it was absolute mint and in perfect working order (mine isn't). Mine works fine as far as the sound, but like many the fan is an issue and some of the buttons are frozen. I have the remote though, so the front panel buttons don't matter.

The unit that sounds the most like the DN780 is the Yamaha REV5. I used to own a REV5 and compared the DN780 side by side with it. In my opinion, the designers of the REV5 clearly spent a great deal of time studying the DN780. Just as in my opinion the designers of the TC M3000 spent a great deal of effort studying the REV5.

I've owned all these units and compared them side by side. The similarity of the DN-780 > REV5 > M3000 in terms of sound is striking. Obviously, each has it's own sound too, but you can hear a likeness that I think goes beyond just coincidence. Just my opinion.

But again, for a first "good" reverb I say go with the PCM-91 without a doubt. If you already have a bunch of hardware reverbs and are looking for something a little different then maybe go for the DN780.

Thanks for the advice; I suspected that the Lexicon was the way to go but had heard that the Klark Teknik was a classic, so was uncertain. It will be my only reverb, so versatility & reliability are important. Matt

Back