Let's start something ; Who's in ?

chessrock

Banned
Just for shits and giggles, I was wondering if anyone wanted to do an experiment with me. Here's how it goes:

Let's just pick some arbitrarily shitty piece of gear. Could be anything ... Presonus Blue Tube mic pre, Alesis Nanocompressor, Behringer reverb or EQ, etc.

And then let's all just start talking it up on the message boards all over the internet. And we'll talk about it like it's some "hidden gem" that everyone thinks is crappy. Next, we have to pick some well-known recording artist, and talk about how it was actually used on one of their albums. Like the engineer didn't want anyone to know it was his "secret weapon."

From there, we just keep spreading the word on the message boards.

The goal is to plot and follow the price it commands on ebay. Looking for spikes in sales price, and tying that in with some of the comments and what not. For example: "$30 increase in average auction price directly after thread on gearslutz" and things like that.

Of course, we all have to buy like a shitload of these things before we actually go all nuts on the message boards. After all, we'll want to be able to recoup our "research expenses," don't we?

Who's in?

chessrock said:
Of course, we all have to buy like a shitload of these things before we actually go all nuts on the message boards. After all, we'll want to be able to recoup our "research expenses," don't we?

Who's in?

Ahhh sooo, the truth comes out. This idea is not so much an experiment as an ingenious capitalist plan to make millions. Well in that case, count me in.

And then I get the rep as the guy who was hawking the crap gear??? I would have to get a new internet persona so I don't trash my own ...er...ah....good name.
But I'd bet that we could "steer" the unwashed masses on chinese mics and such just the same.

Bad idea

chessrock said:
Just for shits and giggles, I was wondering if anyone wanted to do an experiment with me. Here's how it goes:

Let's just pick some arbitrarily shitty piece of gear. Could be anything ... Presonus Blue Tube mic pre, Alesis Nanocompressor, Behringer reverb or EQ, etc.

And then let's all just start talking it up on the message boards all over the internet. And we'll talk about it like it's some "hidden gem" that everyone thinks is crappy. Next, we have to pick some well-known recording artist, and talk about how it was actually used on one of their albums. Like the engineer didn't want anyone to know it was his "secret weapon."

From there, we just keep spreading the word on the message boards.

The goal is to plot and follow the price it commands on ebay. Looking for spikes in sales price, and tying that in with some of the comments and what not. For example: "$30 increase in average auction price directly after thread on gearslutz" and things like that.

Who's in?

Ummm......I know (think) you are kidding because what you just described is Securities Fraud.

Bart

Bartman said:
Ummm......I know (think) you are kidding because what you just described is Securities Fraud.

Bart

How is that much different than what Warren Buffett does all the time? He goes on CNBC and talks up some great new stock (that he owns a bunch of), driving the price of the stock even higher.

scrubs said:
How is that much different than what Warren Buffett does all the time? He goes on CNBC and talks up some great new stock (that he owns a bunch of), driving the price of the stock even higher.

OK, I'll play along even though Chess is just playin'

The problem: publically documented fraudulent intent. A plan was outlined and posted in the public domain with the intent to deceive investors into purchasing stock based upon assertions that are known (or believed) to be false.

Regarding 'ole Warren, good point......Probably not much of a difference, he's just better at it and has good lawyers that would keep him out of jail.

Bart

Track Rat said:
I would have to get a new internet persona so I don't trash my own ...er...ah....good name.

nah.....we just get "Moon Unit" to do all the dirty work and have him launder the internet cash. :D :p

cheers,
wade

I don't know if it'll work. I mean, people still pay $70-$80 for a 3630 on eBay all the time. I know because I've been trying to pick one up for about five bucks so I can send it to Black Lion.

Track Rat said:
And then I get the rep as the guy who was hawking the crap gear??? I would have to get a new internet persona so I don't trash my own ...er...ah....good name.
But I'd bet that we could "steer" the unwashed masses on chinese mics and such just the same.

What rat-a-tat-tat said.

Bartman said:
The problem: publically documented fraudulent intent. A plan was outlined and posted in the public domain with the intent to deceive investors into purchasing stock based upon assertions that are known (or believed) to be false.

I'm sure the feds will be right on that. I remember when the E-Bay price on Digitech DSP-128's peaked at $90 each a few years back because anonymous guys were talking them up on recording BBS's. Congressional hearings were launched; it was really quite a mess.

Probably correct

nkjanssen said:
I'm sure the feds will be right on that. I remember when the E-Bay price on Digitech DSP-128's peaked at $90 each a few years back because anonymous guys were talking them up on recording BBS's. Congressional hearings were launched; it was really quite a mess.

That's cool man. As long as you are OK with the possibility of being sold for a pack of Camels to your new domestic partner "Bubba" and enjoying his company for the next 7-10 years. You really think your postings are anonymous on here or any other public forum?

Man, there's some serious paranoia here. But then again, steroids in baseball are a higher priority on the hill than nuclear terrorism so maybe we could see home recordists defending their right to push Behringers for personal gain.

There is an important point here, of course. There are lots of folks that can't recognize a commercial from an honest opinion. People should realize that when they're on boards with sponsors or taking advice from members doubling as retailers that their goal is make money.

I personally believe that the concept would work just as well as weight loss, hair loss, real estate, religious, or any other deceptive testimonials.

Adam P makes a good point also. I can't believe how out of hand bidding gets on Ebay. I've seen bidding take a used microphone to $290.00 when you can get a brand new one for $299.00. Woohoo, I just saved $9 buying used!

Bartman said:
That's cool man. As long as you are OK with the possibility of being sold for a pack of Camels to your new domestic partner "Bubba" and enjoying his company for the next 7-10 years. You really think your postings are anonymous on here or any other public forum?

Hey, I'm agreeing with you here. If you recall, back in Digitech-Gate, the FBI subpoenaed all of the IP logs for the major recording BBS's as well as all of E-Bay's sales transaction records. Every involved party, worldwide, was tracked down like dogs. Foreign governments were involved, Interpol, etc. Of course, even once the perpetrators were caught, it was no easy task proving that the internet chat was calculated to deceive, nor was it easy proving a causal connection between the chat and the price increase on E-Bay, but witnessess were identified (some of whom are still in witness protection) and subsequently testified. It took millions of dollars and thousands of investigators, but eventually all of those guys who made "unusually high" profits on the Digitech units were convicted. I heard that some guy named "Moon Unit" was sentenced to 10 years without possibility parole for making upwards of $250 profit on the scheme. This is, no doubt, very serious stuff. No joking matter.

Yes, no joking matter. Except this was a joke. At least I think it was. Or was it? Maybe it wasn't a joke. OK, no joking matter. But let's all chill out anyways.

I heard Billy Corgan used a Digitech VTP-1 mic pre on two of his vocal tracks off the album "Siamese Dream."

Butch Vig said it made Billy's vocals sound really big and warm. It was his secret weapon.

Anyone else hear that one?

Oh yea. And I heard the ART DI/O converter beats out really high-end audiophile stuff. Just search the net. And the Studio Projects C-1 ... sounds just like a U-87. Bwa ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ! ! ! ! ! !

chessrock said:
I heard Billy Corgan used a Digitech VTP-1 mic pre on two of his vocal tracks off the album "Siamese Dream."

Oh yea. And I heard the ART DI/O converter beats out really high-end audiophile stuff. Just search the net. And the Studio Projects C-1 ... sounds just like a U-87. Bwa ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ! ! ! ! ! !

That's it! If you actually own those pieces, you better be getting out the soap on a rope. I'm talking 7 to 10, with good behaviour.

Wait a minute

I don't believe any of you hooligans. I'm going to have to run this by my girlfriend, she's real smart and beautiful too....you may have heard of her....Morgan Fairchild, yeah, that's the ticket.

Plus anyone with half a brain knows that Billy only uses Samson & Nady products. Plus he says that low cost starved plate pre's maufactured in third world nations add an order of harmonics "never before heard", bringing an unworldly sparkle, depth and musicality to otherwise bland productions.

Bart

Correct

corban said:
Yes, no joking matter. Except this was a joke. At least I think it was. Or was it? Maybe it wasn't a joke. OK, no joking matter. But let's all chill out anyways.

Everyone was joking throughout the thread and I believe everyone is chilled.

Back