Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: LA610 returns a (special edition)

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Maybe this stuff could work - then clearcoat over.

Dry transfer lettering and a burnisher - the lettering is available in different fonts :

https://www.amazon.com/Chartpak-Tran...004O71540?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Chartpak-Adju...97GKZDRY26X101
    Last edited by spantini; 11-05-2018 at 09:14.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    I found this, some dude that does Lambroghini decals....
    4) Wax it.
    If you have a gloss vinyl stripe or wrap, you can and should wax it! I recommend waxing over cut vinyl areas by hand so you don’t snag an edge with a buffer. For a wrap, you can use your favorite car wax. For stripes and cut graphics, you should stick with a liquid wax that won’t give you that ugly white build up on the edges. Either way, both your paint and your graphics will thank you for a little extra protection.

Its funny my Line 6 UX8 has the best decal approach, not sure what or how they did it.
    The ART and Rane seem to have the same. The UA LA610 causes me some worry and its the most expensive? lol

Ive sent in a UA request to confirm they clear coat the faceplates and if they sell new ones.
    This one is mint condition but still Im curious....an email should answer the question by next week.
    Wax would be easy enough to help protect the faceplate, imo.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Cool. Staying tuned in here.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    Ive been reading some disturbing posts about the faceplate decals come off incredibly easy on the UA stuff.
    Ive read they have replaced them for free, but only one post on that.

For $1500 or $1000 used, I expect the decals to not rub off.
    They are intentionally designed to rub off like that so people can quickly get that 30-40 year-old relic'd look.

Thanks
    relic! lol

my boss bought a $100k Porsche, he wanted some little piece of plastic and said it was $500.
    so in a small range, the faceplates are probably not cheap on these...and the one I have is a Special Edition which is Black but its not a MKII and its not Silver as a V1.....

the faceplate looks easy enough to remove to coat it with something really durable. Im hoping UA has addressed this and explains the problem was taken care of a long time ago.

Theres three plates. The Preamp 610, the compLA...and the 19" rack that has very few markings and would be the easiest to "clear coat", possible without removing anything.

or go relic.... hmmm?

Thanks
    ok. Blog like post....but its been quiet on the RACK thread...so what the heck..

Months gone by and a few home grown sessions with the LA610.

Top thing positive is the ergo- simplicity. You'll read that a lot on reviews of these units, I agree. Its part of the beauty.
    I really don't do anything but turn the 3 large main knobs. All the other is flat and not moved.

So where am I with this unit? I run the LA610 straight to my interface Line In, then a Reaper track. No real time-plugins. Simple. Love that...hardware can be very cool. No mouse work required. I like the simplicity and not needing to pullup software to record. Its like Analog Vibe world. Reaper is only a Reel to Reel machine per se, arm hit record and playback...at least until mixdown and editing.

TECHGEEK: The vocal is alright, the 15mv/pa (-36db) works well and I have no issue with headroom or anything. Ive read that a lot and someone said the original 610 was designed in the day of the low output Ribbon so High output new U87 at 28mv/ps (-31bd) might overload it with loud sources or something....I don't have any of that problem. Im a folk/vocal/acoustic mainly with some days doing any type noise. Im not Kurt Cobain screaming, that might overlaod a 28mv/pa mic..
    The Bass guitar is easy keeping it clean with a small touch of comp seems the best. The Acoustic is fine, full and the mic and LA610 do it well. (The room and my playing the weaker link for sure.)

Its been kind of a split-test drive with a tube mic and the LA610 unit, together. But Ive grown to really like it. If it was paid off I would like it more. I think I have a few months at 0%. Im selling my other mics though, the Rode NTV mic is decided to be the keeper. It was $276 so flipping my KSM27 and AKG200b will recoup that cost. I only need 1qty mic.

Small things: Im still a little cautious with not touching the decals or faceplate, but 95% of the time all I touch is the large 3 knobs and Im very cautious and aware not to touch the faceplate.

When time allows, the next thing is to compare the LA610 with the Interface/PodFarm and the ART TPS again.
    Im pretty comfortable with the LA610 now and the newbie brain buzz is dissipated so I can get a sober listen to the three.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails la610-back-png  

Thanks
    This weekend a few hours spent on the Bass comparing the LA610 vs Gearbox(PlugIns).

LA610 takes my top choice for smooth and simple ease of plugging in and hitting record. How beautiful is that?
    The sounds are up to what we make them, preference and subjectivity...and I admit the vibe of a tube, old school, pro piece has a lot of brain buzz. Its a gorgeous piece to see, what fabulous engineering and design.

The Gearbox Plugin approach was awesome too, in a different way of "versatility".
    First noticed was the guitar tuner is right there, a click away, a quick tune without doing anything.
    Second noticed was the super cool Line6 Hum "learn" function that takes out Single Coil well, its not a noise gate, that can be added too. It works well.
    Third note was the many many many choices, too many, but there they are a whole bunch of choices. the "save as" function allows saving Dirty-distortion CoolCat Bass or the Clean CoolCat Bass. Simply put an amazing array in a desktop interface without adding a single pedal or cable. Im reminded its not 1979 with a cassette recorder and session ended to find a 9volt battery for a pedal. This world is truly a cup running over with a Free sound library of too much to write here.

The top choice for cost is Gearbox as it comes free with the UX8 I have.

Copy Cat...the LA610 clarity, full and professional sounding unit with super ease of laying down a track while the brain buzz is hot cant be underrated. The LA610 sound was copied/simulated a bit with the software and Saved. That was thing about buying some hi-end gear for myself and to hear it first hand and compare to the HR stuff.

that's the Bass. yeah, Im sitting on the fence, one doesn't suck and the other isnt perfect. that's why gearheads like it all? I guess?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails la610-gearbox-plugs-png  

Thanks
    Ok.... last little gear comparison for me on this (maybe?)

ART TPSII and the LA610...the input section, the preamp and impedance and misc.

I had the MPA and other stuff, its all good and fun gear but the ART TPS was mentioned and I had heard an album locally someone used this unit and I was really impressed. The LA610 already has the UA site with artists like Coldplay, and others...

I want that tube thing, I also wanted to to be able to get a lot of "dirt" or tube distortion, color whatever its chosen to be called. ala Im the Walrus or Tomorrow Never Knows distortion realm. Hearing 21 Pilots big hit the vocals was great and the 610 overdriven per the engineer was that sound.

The ART TPS held up well, imo, as a hobbyist ear in a closet room to the LA610. Looking closer theres a lot of similarities in the PreAmp/Gain stage. Whats noticed on the ART is the non linearrange in the nearly max'd out Gain you get the OD...the LA flips a switch and the distortion can be seen or heard on youtubes. Same effect, within the realm of overdriven preamp stuff. This is the area of dirt and nice effect on some tones. The impedance is really noticeable and a nice knob to have even when going Clean too.
    Clean is Clean but theres a "soft" clean to it in relate to the Technical Clean of a RANE or INTERFACE CLEAN....Im not interested in that for these pieces.

I didn't include the LA EQ section, the ART doesn't have that, and the Compressor /Limit section yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails la610-art-tps-png  

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolCat For This Useful Post:

Thread Information