Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LA610 returns a (special edition)

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    well... the LA610SE, LA610 non Mkii … is fully working and the signal to the DAW is a nice thick healthy full tone wave now.
    that's the good news.

the bad news is my LDC and my totally back-slid room into noise, is a horrible match for LDC's (as in all the noises we cant hear with our ears are magnified 1000times with the compressor and LDC = dynamic needed here)

Test 2-
    the Bass was plugged in, the large knobs are very fast & easy to use.. large knob on the LA610 are just cool in a vibe way, the comp works as it should, its a real tube design and this is what it sounds like. ..but...... again, hmmm...my single coil noisy antenna Squier Bass is waay too noisy.
    I did some tracks with comp and no comp etc.... its what it is. The LA610 did its thing, unfortunately my noisy single coils did their thing too.

but then wtf...I plugged the bass into my interface instrument in and pulled up Gearbox PodFarm Suite.... 3seconds
    click = tuner...tuned 10seconds
    click = Hum reducer....select "Learn" and Hum is gone...5 seconds
    click= BX Lux Ampeg sim and added the LA2A a bit.. 30seconds ..sounded nice and wet..
    click on DAW and Recorded not only the fx track but could also do a clean dry track in parrell due to the UX8/podfarm software without moving a cable.

Selected Reaper T1 - dry and T2 with Gearbox Amp sim click....RECORD

the Line 6 Gearbox ITB was a nice clean silent great tone Bass track. imo

which tool would I use for a silent Bass track? the latter.

to be continued.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails la610-test-hum-png  

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    I awoke the other morning to burning smell in the bedroom, it was the pc "studio" powersupply.

Testing and playing delayed.

Giving time to think about the Hardware vs Software gear.

Testing and comparing clean preamps and mics is more straight forward. The compression is such a color changer theres too much left to artistic preference imo.
    I could understand a LA2A vs a LA on this unit, or even comparing a SE to the LA610 just to test the ears.

The LA610SE has credentials far above my skill level, like a Fender US STratocaster already proven a million times, that my negative inputs should be taken with a grain of salt.

As a bedroom hobbyist gearhead the beauty and human-interfacing of reaching for a Bakelite knob instead of a mouse, is a larger point to make and reason to buy outboard for tracking, right?

Then being gearhead we might want more than one option, so a HiEnd channel strip concept has been around a long time for the HR gang who dont need a SSL 4000g or 32 channel console...this still holds up. ( Hybrid )

The accountant business brain section is always looking for BANG for the BUCK.....where plugins seem to reign King.

Having tube vibe and some magical enjoyment of transformers and in general...hardware....is like some dude spending the cash on a Harley when there is more chrome to clean and possible expensive repairs but the ride is worth it...PLug-Ins will never get this, they are like cartoon versions of a Tube amp.

none of it has anything to do with writing a kick ass song or stumbling on some new chord.

as for my computer, I went all over dallas calling and driving for a power supply that would fit. when i bought one and drove home etc...the install was a big "wont fit!!" as I had assumed the salesdude checked the dimensions, he was doing so good at amps and wattage and connectors...
    so I took that back.

in the end ordered on Amazon, the exact same part number, flown in free shipping and no tax...it works damn good sometimes.

next test is a dynamic mic.

so far my negatives in this test drive are all on me.
    noisy bass, condensers picking up noisy room. .... Im not getting silky smooth Beatle EMI tracking sounds yet...lol

Thanks
    Today plugged in a 6 string electric. Humbucker and Single coil. Not bad, the compression doesn't muddy it up to much and fixes some heavy strokes now and then.
    Nothing to do with the LA610...but the buzzing was worse today and turned out to be something else plugged in and on....turned that off and back to the Normal buzzing Single Coils.

LA610, now past the "peemypants" I just bought something 1hr review...its a fine unit, hiend, quality made fun to use. with the cable fixed (thanks again arcaxis!)...theres a nice fat sound and large wave in the Reaper track. No plug ins needed for a fat wet bass, the rhythm guitar was ok as in cleanDI guitar, enough to use and lay down a fast idea.

for anyone who reads this wondering does it make everything else sound cheap and thin? no...not at all. my comparison today was with ITB stuff and of course my PodFarm has a million combinations for a guitar and bass from clean to pinball noises. the LA610 is what it is, and it doesn't make my playing any better.

Pros: easy to use, fast to the DAW, sounds great ...it'd be fun to do every track with it as in retro mode but its impossible not to use some plugins it seems, reverbs or whatever...especially on guitar where some chorus or flange is wanted. the PodFarm has that in abundance.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I didn't plan on making a blog of this thing...oh well.

a re-listen to the tracks after a days break and I tossed in some outboard ART TPS Bass.
    Im growing some love for the smooth bass now through the LA610, its got deep end and the string clarity.
    The ART TPS sounds similar with its hiZ and OPL set to bass. All the other tracks the dry sounded darker, the finger picking vs a nylon pick hitting the strings was huge tone change, the L6 Pod Farm can really do it all, but as many of us notice the outboard sometimes seems to have a clarity or fullness, in addition to the speed of just pulling up the DAW and going straight in which is probably the biggest positive for outboard imo.

Bass sounds very nice but you know, I read that a lot "bass sounds great through <enter unit name>!!"
    The LA610 does have a finished tone though with the compression adding a light "2.3" to smooth out the playing... where as the DRY stuff did seem..er..dry.

for the 6 string electric, I don't know. The amp sims sound great and I never got around to plugging in the PoD Pro Rack unit yet to go straight in vs plugs. Theres not much going on for a 6 string here...I wouldn't buy this for that application alone.

I must say, Im really impressed with the ART TPS side by side, its got a very similar tone with light comp, and some tube-glow comp going on.
    The ART TPS is a PreAmp + preset -ish compression. I don't know what the V3 is. If you want to hear something similr to the 610 the TPS might be close (its a discrete pre with some Tube in the circuit)….not sure the two operate the same, but other reviews like, in sweetwater, can mention the TPS/610 similarity thing too.

hhhm?: Bass can sound good through many things. So unless you got scratch, whose got $1500 for a bass DI. But the bass does sound great in the LA610 and it sounded great in the ART and the ISA One and the JDRadial and the and the and the DOD 825 was wet and comp'd over the years....the Pod Farm Plug could probably make a sim of all of the above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails la610-bass-png  
    Last edited by CoolCat; 10-28-2018 at 11:06.

Thanks
    Ive been reading some disturbing posts about the faceplate decals come off incredibly easy on the UA stuff.
    Ive read they have replaced them for free, but only one post on that.

For $1500 or $1000 used, I expect the decals to not rub off.

I have a cheap Line 6 that has the great decal faceplate and not one wear mark over 8yrs.
    Other gear I have looks brand new on 20yr old stuff.
    I think of Joe Meek the original brite green and how it was mint condtion and from 1994!

I find hi-end gear not so hi-end when it requires pampering. Maybe Im part junk yard dog and enjoy the Shure "tank tough" bang it and drop it and no problem stuff. Now that I think of it the Grace Design headphone amp I have can lose its decals, it was $$$ new....wtf?

What would be a good decal coating for a faceplate? clear coat? polycoat?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    Ive been reading some disturbing posts about the faceplate decals come off incredibly easy on the UA stuff.
    Ive read they have replaced them for free, but only one post on that.

For $1500 or $1000 used, I expect the decals to not rub off.

I have a cheap Line 6 that has the great decal faceplate and not one wear mark over 8yrs.
    Other gear I have looks brand new on 20yr old stuff.
    I think of Joe Meek the original brite green and how it was mint condtion and from 1994!

I find hi-end gear not so hi-end when it requires pampering. Maybe Im part junk yard dog and enjoy the Shure "tank tough" bang it and drop it and no problem stuff. Now that I think of it the Grace Design headphone amp I have can lose its decals, it was $$$ new....wtf?

What would be a good decal coating for a faceplate? clear coat? polycoat?
    I just saw that too. Odd too that how often do we even touch the face plates?
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    its nothing new apparently?...but I wonder what could they do to protect it better?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ua-decal-png  

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
    I just saw that too. Odd too that how often do we even touch the face plates?
    in my world maybe never, im more worried about the long jazz neck bass hitting it... I hope they dont just rot off though over time?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    its nothing new apparently?...but I wonder what could they do to protect it better?
    Many years ago when I worked in an R&D electronics place we used a dry transfer type of lettering on prototype gear. It wasn't very durable on its own so we sprayed a clearcoat of something like clear Krylon over it to seal it. Probably there are better similar methods.
    Mark.......

Thanks
    I wonder if UA has done anything new. I want to call them and see. If they sell faceplates for a reasonable cost its fine.
    Its good to read, so Ill be extra careful with the dialing in and touching and wiping down the faceplate on this thing.

I wouldnt mind popping this one off and having someone spray it, like a guitar paint shop or high end car paint shop.
    But it'd be a roll of the dice and no going back.

Thread Information