Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: LA610 returns a (special edition)

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    71
    Posts
    4,520
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 228 Times in 209 Posts
    Rep Power
    10181459
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post

    maybe the Line6UX8 Line IN to the LA610 LineOut is causing it?
    Maybe, kinda, sorta........
    I went to Line6's site for the specs for the UX8. Line inputs are 10kohms and that's OK, but the specs state the line ins are 'unbalanced' which is intended to take a TS type plug (this sucks cause you'll lose about 6dB signal vs balanced). You mentioned trying an XLR to TS cable. Do know if this cable is wired to 'convert' the balanced XLR connection to an unbalanced TS? It likely is wired to do this, but maybe worth a check. It needs to be wired so pin 1 and 3 are tied together and pin 2 is the 'hot' (see image below). The Radio Shack adapter does the balanced to unbalanced thingy and because of the transformer it may give the signal a boost, but may alter the sound as well.
    A cable that does balanced to unbalanced ....... Unbalanced Interconnect - Hosa Technology

    I couldn't find specs on the UX8 line inputs for gain/sensitivity. How are you setting the Gain and Levels on the 610? The Gain switch also affects 'negative feedback' in the circuitry which alter the sound a bit, so take a look at the manual so you understand what it does.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r415_9_image_xlr_vers_tps-2-png  
    Mark.......

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to arcaxis For This Useful Post:


  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,324
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 104 Times in 98 Posts
    Rep Power
    4662822
    well I'll be darned...the other testdrive LA610mk2 wave file is exactly the same.
    I found my test drive LA610mk2 file and it too was at the same volume and what seems thin and weak signal.
    actually it sounds identical. the wave is -18 and huge gain is needed to get it to a "loud" full sound.

    in a way Im happy that this unit is "functionally fine". so maybe is there something to do with my setup?
    but the rane and art and many others Ive had I don't recall this issue.


    and why does the impedance match radio shack thing bump up the volume so much?

    if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,324
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 104 Times in 98 Posts
    Rep Power
    4662822
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    Maybe, kinda, sorta........
    I went to Line6's site for the specs for the UX8. Line inputs are 10kohms and that's OK, but the specs state the line ins are 'unbalanced' which is intended to take a TS type plug (this sucks cause you'll lose about 6dB signal vs balanced). You mentioned trying an XLR to TS cable. Do know if this cable is wired to 'convert' the balanced XLR connection to an unbalanced TS? It likely is wired to do this, but maybe worth a check. It needs to be wired so pin 1 and 3 are tied together and pin 2 is the 'hot' (see image below). The Radio Shack adapter does the balanced to unbalanced thingy and because of the transformer it may give the signal a boost, but may alter the sound as well.
    A cable that does balanced to unbalanced ....... Unbalanced Interconnect - Hosa Technology

    I couldn't find specs on the UX8 line inputs for gain/sensitivity. How are you setting the Gain and Levels on the 610? The Gain switch also affects 'negative feedback' in the circuitry which alter the sound a bit, so take a look at the manual so you understand what it does.
    wow, thanks for that.... I'd buy you a beer if you were here! how did I overlook that? I assumed the 1/4" was the TRS style! on the Line6UX8.

    the radio shack transformer/impedance thing is TS....not TRS, so maybe that's it. it makes sense.

    I need to double check but the LA610 is +4 out, and it mentions its ok to run into a mic pre on a interface IF it has a pad, if not they really recommend the LINE IN on the receiving interface.

    This is really a good find, thanks so much.

    if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,324
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 104 Times in 98 Posts
    Rep Power
    4662822
    LINE6UX8 INterface

    Line:
    8x 1/4-inch rear panel unbalanced line level inputs
    Impedance: 10 k


    LA610SE (La610 not mk2)
    Polarity The front panel toggle switch labeled IN  and OUT  determines the polarity of the LINE OUTPUT. When IN  is selected, pin 2 is hot (positive). When OUT  is selected, pin 3 is hot (positive).
    Input/Output Standard XLR input and output connectors are provided on the rear panel. Pin 2 is wired positive (hot) on the LINE and MIC INPUTS. Pin 2 is positive on the LINE OUTPUT when the front panel Polarity toggle switch is down (IN ). Pin 3 is positive on the LINE OUTPUT when the front panel Polarity switch is up (OUT ).


    This is getting somewhere, my mic pre in is balanced and does have a pad to deal with the LA610 +4 output. That might even be better.

    Yeah Robus, the ART stuff is a lot better than I knew which is part of the comparison.
    I personally like the TPS better than the silky, clean tubeness of the MPA which a excellent deal all around.
    The TPS has a dirty ability to compress clean or get nasty...lol and its a DUAL channel for $185 brand new, used $85-$100.
    Comparing to this high end stuff is making them look even better than I thought.

    if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,324
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 104 Times in 98 Posts
    Rep Power
    4662822
    OK I found a XLR to TS cable, Pin 2 is hot, 3& 1 tied together.

    So its better to float 3? or leave it on 1?

    I'll try both. The same cable from my ART balanced out to TRS to UX8 Line In isnt having the same issues.

    if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    71
    Posts
    4,520
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 228 Times in 209 Posts
    Rep Power
    10181459
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    OK I found a XLR to TS cable, Pin 2 is hot, 3& 1 tied together.

    So its better to float 3? or leave it on 1?

    I'll try both. The same cable from my ART balanced out to TRS to UX8 Line In isnt having the same issues.
    Leave pin 3 tied to 1. The ART is likely 'electronically' balanced on the output (no transformer), which may work OK with TRS. The LA610 I'm guessing has a true transformer output and if the ring of a TRS plug doesn't make a connection to ground inside the TS jack of the UX8 to complete a low side connection of the 610's transformer, then one side of the signal sees an open circuit and won't work well.

    Do you have a mixer or similar with a balanced line in that you could listen to the 610 and/or other preamps to make a comparison that way?
    Mark.......

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to arcaxis For This Useful Post:


  9. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,324
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 104 Times in 98 Posts
    Rep Power
    4662822
    ok. thanks! will try it soon.

    yeah theres an old Yamaha MX12 laying around here somewhere.

    if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,324
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 104 Times in 98 Posts
    Rep Power
    4662822
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    Leave pin 3 tied to 1. The ART is likely 'electronically' balanced on the output (no transformer), which may work OK with TRS. The LA610 I'm guessing has a true transformer output and if the ring of a TRS plug doesn't make a connection to ground inside the TS jack of the UX8 to complete a low side connection of the 610's transformer, then one side of the signal sees an open circuit and won't work well.

    Do you have a mixer or similar with a balanced line in that you could listen to the 610 and/or other preamps to make a comparison that way?
    arcaxis....dude...you found the root cause. and theres some funny ironic extra notes in hindsight.

    the very first cable I used was a XLR to TS....but I found out just now with my meter pin 3 was floated (it doesnt work on the transformer output LA610).

    after you mentioned this I found another XLR to TS but it was like a homemade one from years ago that had 3&1 tied.... it came on like a healthy, loud, everything perfectly fine system now.

    the line6ux8 non-balanced Line IN and the LA610 balanced Line Out was a "bad match". It ONLY works with the pin 1&3 tied together. and exactly as you said, the LA610 doesnt like pin 3 floating.

    that was a great forum input and great details caught and appreciated!!
    Im cancelling the REFUND request and will not need UA Tech Support when they respond.

    It also doesnt have a hum like the impedance radioshack Z gender changer did.

    Man this thing is so different! You were right on that too....total tone changed.

    that was kind of fun! and a lesson in wiring I didnt know about! thanks again.
    Last edited by CoolCat; 10-14-2018 at 17:48.

    if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

  11. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    71
    Posts
    4,520
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 228 Times in 209 Posts
    Rep Power
    10181459
    Good to hear!!!

    Let us know what you think of it after playing with it a bit, particularly compared to the ART. I've kinda had thoughts of getting a SOLO/610, but the price tag even used is a lot more than any other pre I currently own. Lately I've been pretty happy with the Warm Audio WA-12 I've been using. Always the temptation to try something different unfortunately $$$$.
    Mark.......

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to arcaxis For This Useful Post:


  13. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,324
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 104 Times in 98 Posts
    Rep Power
    4662822
    I dont get lost like that much but your looking up the UX8 and bringing all that transformer output and pin info was impressive and helpful.

    well the 610 is on enough billboards to speak for itself. TwentyOne Pilots engineer....slammed the 610 into a 1176 blue stripe with a Sony C800G on Stressed Out an Heathens...young kids music but great recording of vocals imo.
    Adele and the Rodes ClassicII into a 610(6176) etc.... very classic sound and simple for the tracking anyway.

    for the LA610...flavor...after your "repair" theres many forum posts of the same issues possibly. 610/LA610 could be from someone with a wrong cable saying "this sucs and its horrible i sent it back"....lol Ive read other posts mentioning "no output!" "weak signal!! from 2004...0r 2008...etc... I cant help but wonder did they have the same issue as mine?

    I never knew about the transformer outputs, as you mentioned.
    Ive assumed all along my UX8 was TRS! balanced...and Ive looked those specs up many many times over the years. lol

    Im reading a lot about low output mics, working well with the 610 pre....one guy sounded logical that these are old school designs befor the FET mics were invented and lower output of Ribbons and old NEumanns were more common. sounds logical...I dont know.


    add> Weird wiring.... that Radio Shack thing ohmed out pin 2 was the tip as normal, but the 1&3 were not connected at all to the shield to pins 1&3 measured open.
    Looking at the transformer drawing above thats right, theres no connection other than the transformer?
    that thing increased the volume but adding a noticeable hum in the 100hz range, a bad buzz hum.
    Last edited by CoolCat; 10-16-2018 at 10:32.

    if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. La610 ***signarture edition*** $1800 (cad)
    By BigEZ in forum Free Ads for Music/Recording Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2013, 18:05
  2. cool edit special edition
    By dirtydoo in forum Recording Techniques
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-18-2006, 10:33
  3. 4033 special edition
    By cracklin' in forum Microphones
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 16:34
  4. RECORDING Magazine - Special Mic Edition
    By turnitdown in forum Microphones
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 21:17
  5. Cool Edit Pro Special Edition
    By Spider in forum Cool Edit Pro / Adobe Audition Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2000, 19:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •