Is a Klark Teknik DN410 worth selling my soul for?

diggy_dude

Now 169% diggier!
I'm working on a deal to acquire one. It will most likely cost me $400 to $500, and I really can't afford that if it's not going to make a huge difference.

I bought an SAE 1800 after I thought I'd lost out on the Klark deal, but then a second chance at the Klark arose. I haven't used the SAE, as it hasn't arrived yet, but I'd been wanting the Klark all along.

I plan to use my parametric for mastering, for both standalone equalization and for side chaining with my dbx 166A compressor. I don't think the SAE's two bands per channel is enough, but then I'm a total n00b at this. Please advise.

Thanks,
Jim

So I take it you're not doing eq, master and such ITB. You certainly don't need to tie up a high end eq for side chain duty.

I d'n know. Sure you wouldn't rather have a nice... DISCH TV
:);):D

I honestly don't watch TV enough to be willing to endure the service providers' shenanigans just so I can have 13 channels of shit to choose from. The same goes for cell phones. I use a telephone to (gasp!) make fucking phone calls. :D

So I take it you're not doing eq, master and such ITB. You certainly don't need to tie up a high end eq for side chain duty.

I don't know what "ITB" is. I would certainly want to use the equalizer in tracking to remove some strident resonance peaks from the output of those old Casiotones, and not just for sidechaining. The Klark's filters are so versatile that I probably haven't imagined all the possible uses yet.

The guy just offered it to me for $360 plus shipping. I repeated my assertion that it would take me two weeks to raise the money. If he agrees to that, it's pretty much a no-brainer, and a done deal. :D

Sorry, ITB InDaBox :D
But then I seen in your other post you like the metal and copper'. (Yes I feel it. :) 'Stuff is way more fun than code'

Sorry, ITB InDaBox :D
But then I seen in your other post you like the metal and copper'. (Yes I feel it. :) 'Stuff is way more fun than code'

Exactly. I get enough coding Monday through Friday, 9 to 5. In my downtime, I just want to fuck with some sound. :D

Exactly. I get enough coding Monday through Friday, 9 to 5. In my downtime, I just want to fuck with some sound. :D

Hey Diggy I'm a OTB guy my self and just love the amount of rack gear that I have.
The 410 is just great for everything that I use it for.

Also have 7 or 8 graphic EQs from Klark mainly for live sound and would use nothing but and that's inconjuntion with Midas consoles just can't beat the comonation.
Klark DIs as well. Just something about the way every thing from klark transfers the signal ... I don't know it's different and good!

:cool:

Hey Diggy I'm a OTB guy my self and just love the amount of rack gear that I have.
The 410 is just great for everything that I use it for.

Also have 7 or 8 graphic EQs from Klark mainly for live sound and would use nothing but and that's inconjuntion with Midas consoles just can't beat the comonation.
Klark DIs as well. Just something about the way every thing from klark transfers the signal ... I don't know it's different and good!

I've never used a Klark, but I have this irrational, unscientific feeling :p that I'll get enough mileage out of the 410 in making cool sounds to easily justify the cost.

I'm just putting together my rack now. My studio building project has turned into a lot of spinoff projects over the last year. :laughings:

Here's what I have so far:

Casio VZ-8M "Interactive Phase Distortion" synthesizer
Electrix Warp Factory vocoder
dbx 166A compressor/limiter/gate
SAE 1800 stereo paramtric eq
Alesis QuadraVerb

I'm hoping to pick up a patchbay before the day is done.

I also have a few guitar effect pedals that I use with my keyboards. Let's face it, most of my instruments are child's toys. Cheesy effects ain't gonna hurt 'em. :p

Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
DOD FX51 Juice Box overdrive
Digitech RP90 multi effects
DOD FX87 Edge (like a BBE or Aural Exciter knockoff)
DOD FX85 Harmonic Enhancer (really nothing but a tone control, but it's ancient so I hold onto it)
Artec SE-NGT noise gate (a tone-sucking piece of Chinese crap, mostly)
Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah
DOD FX25 Envelope Filter
DOD FX20B Stereo Phaser
DOD FX747 Supersonic Stereo Flanger
Guitar Fuel Angular Velocity (inbred child of a flanger and chorus)
DOD FX90 analog delay

You know Diggy If I remember right I had to do up special balanced cables for my 410 to work right but for the life of me I can't remember what it entailed.
Will you be getting the manual/schematics with this purchase?

You know Diggy If I remember right I had to do up special balanced cables for my 410 to work right but for the life of me I can't remember what it entailed.
Will you be getting the manual/schematics with this purchase?
I downloaded the manual while I was shopping for an EQ. The schematics are in the PDF. :cool:

I downloaded the manual while I was shopping for an EQ. The schematics are in the PDF. :cool:

You know I just can't put my finger on it right now but it's different from the rest of my gear.
I think pin 2 and 3 are reversed. I think. No wait I'm almost certain about it now that I'm thinking with both sides of my brain. ;)

You know I just can't put my finger on it right now but it's different from the rest of my gear.
I think pin 2 and 3 are reversed. I think. No wait I'm almost certain about it now that I'm thinking with both sides of my brain. ;)

I read that the pinout for balanced connections was standardized fairly recently and that a lot of vintage gear is wired backwards. The dbx 166A manual says it's wired the opposite of some of their earlier gear.

I read that the pinout for balanced connections was standardized fairly recently and that a lot of vintage gear is wired backwards. The dbx 166A manual says it's wired the opposite of some of their earlier gear.

I'm not sure of the date but mine was absolutely arse backwards. :D

Is a Klark Teknik DN410 worth selling my soul for?
Eh, it's a nice enough unit. $360 isn't a bad price. Used them live many times and can't complain (hard to complain about KT's stuff for live use) although...
I plan to use my parametric for mastering, for both standalone equalization and for side chaining with my dbx 166A compressor.
I think you'll get a lot more mileage out of plugs. I don't really feel the KT is going to flatter the 2-buss (and I'd most definitely reconsider the 166A as well).

IMO/E, YMMV, etc., etc., yada, yada.

I think you'll get a lot more mileage out of plugs. I don't really feel the KT is going to flatter the 2-buss (and I'd most definitely reconsider the 166A as well).

Thanks for the advice, but frankly, I have a long way to go before I can consider myself a competent mixing or mastering engineer in need of top notch equipment. My "2-buss" consists of a set of cables between a cheap Behringer mixer and a cheap Fostex multitracker. The dbx and Klark will do for practice.

Turns out the SAE has RCA jacks and is thus more suitable for home audio. I ended up getting a Symetrix SE-400 two-channel four-band for the rack. I'll probably try the SAE in the tape loop of my stereo for awhile and then unload it on Ebay.

Although I won't be in the market for another compressor anytime soon, I'd be interested in recommendations for a replacement for the dbx.

Turns out the SAE has RCA jacks and is thus more suitable for home audio. I ended up getting a Symetrix SE-400 two-channel four-band for the rack. I'll probably try the SAE in the tape loop of my stereo for awhile and then unload it on Ebay.

Although I won't be in the market for another compressor anytime soon, I'd be interested in recommendations for a replacement for the dbx.

So what your tell me is you didn't get the Klark? :(
I have two Symetrix micpres with EQ etc. no power supplies, that I'll let you have cheap if you want just PM me Diggy.

So what your tell me is you didn't get the Klark? :(
I have two Symetrix micpres with EQ etc. no power supplies, that I'll let you have cheap if you want just PM me Diggy.

No, the Ashly SC-66A and the Klark got sniped out from under me in the final seconds of the auctions at outrageous prices. I probably could've won the Ashly, but my credit card bill is already a source of great anxiety for me. Best to start off with lesser gear and work my way up.

I'm not likely to attempt any singing that doesn't involve a vocoder. My voice is really that awful. The XLR input on the vocoder will work for my purposes.

I think they're only accepting vintage Les Paul's for souls nowadays...

...or an occasional fiddle

Back