Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Joemeek 3Q comp/eq.....

Thanks

Joemeek 3Q comp/eq.....

Sign in to disable this ad
    How usuable is the compressor and eq section of the 3Q? I have heard its quite a capable pre for the price but the comp doesn't allow much fine tuning and colors it very much. All owners (or previous owners) please advise me.
    If I bought one, it would be a step up pre-amp wise, and would give me a compressor which I don't have yet. If I didn't buy one, I'd make due with my bellari pre and probably buy a dbx 266XL cus its about all I can afford. Reccomendations?
    Btw, this is for acoustic/clean guitars and bass only.

Thanks
    hmm, actually after a search on the DBX I think I'm even less sold on that option. So how usuable is the 3Qs compression?

Thanks
    If you're just after compression there are better options ... the ThreeQ's comp sounds GREAT and needn't be trashy or smashmouth (though obviously it does that in a Joemeek way too) but it's not very flexible as there are only three controls for it! If you want something with more threshold and ratio controls, you can go for something higher in the Meek channel strip range, or go for the standalone compressor unit. Obvious but very different competitors include the RNC.
    :mad:

Thanks
    I purchased the 3Q about two months ago and have got to use it on electric guitars and female vocals.

it did outstanding on both, although the useable range for vocals is pretty small, but MAN!, I tracked with the compression, and I hardly needed to touch the vocals at all after-wards, and I couldn't hear the compressor working at all, although I do think it gave the sound a nice coloration. I'm very pleased so far.

Thanks
    I see the word "colored" and "coloration" quite a bit when reading about the ThreeQ... what do you mean?
    Check out my band The Executives at www.theexecutivesmusic.com

Thanks
    The 3q's compression changes the sound thats what coloring means, it's a pretty broad statement and can apply to many various sonic differences. I personally own the mic but do not like the color the compressor gives a track. I use it to mainly track kick drums and usually used the compressor, last night, I decided not to and honestly loved the sound much more. I think they should've either done away with the compressor and focused on the eq or just dropped the bells and whistles and given us just the pre at much cheaper.

Thanks
    I've used mine as a DI for bass and was fairly impressed....
    Also use it for vox all day long, as it's very clean sounding.
    [I][B][SIZE="2"][COLOR="black"][FONT="Arial"]Guido[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/I]

[URL=http://almirasound.com/][COLOR="Sienna"]ALMIRA SOUND STUDIO[/COLOR][/URL]

Thanks
    Here's a link to an interesting review of the JoeMeek ThreeQ :

http://www.proaudioreview.com/januar...k_ThreeQ.shtml
    Check out my band The Executives at www.theexecutivesmusic.com

Thanks
    I use the threeQ to track guitar, bass, and female vocals.

The pre is good. The compressor is great for bass (MUCH better than an RNC in my opinion). I also like it for rock guitar. Very aggressive sounding. I haven't tried it for vocals, but I'm sure it would work. It has a nice sound, but it's not a sound I would want on every single track. The EQ only gets used on guitar sometimes (when DI'ing). I prefer to move a mic than play with the EQ. It can be rather noisy.

There are better options for a pre, compressor, and EQ, but all in all it's a pretty nice package for the price.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by noisedude
    If you're just after compression there are better options ... the ThreeQ's comp sounds GREAT and needn't be trashy or smashmouth (though obviously it does that in a Joemeek way too) but it's not very flexible as there are only three controls for it! If you want something with more threshold and ratio controls, you can go for something higher in the Meek channel strip range, or go for the standalone compressor unit. Obvious but very different competitors include the RNC.
    Noisedude is correct about the threeQ. The ratio is at a fixed point, so a bit more limited, but that was intentionally. So it is not as flexible as other models we or other manufacturers make.

The idea behind the threeQ was to hit a $200.00 price point and offer as much features that we could on a complete channel strip, but still have it be a quality unit. Based on that, the eq offers only a mid sweep, and the compressor had to do without the ratio control. The other restriction was space, but we did get very usable controls on the unit for the money...IOHO

Yes, the Meek is colored but that is the optical compressor generating the 2nd order harmonic...again, done intentionally. This is more controllable on the sixQ as it offers full ratio control, more metering, more EQ, more mic amp features and digital outputs for about $150.00 more. So you can ease up the color with low ratios.

There are other units out there worth considering, so do the homework.
    Alan Hyatt
    PMI Audio Group
    Studio Projects Joemeek Toft Audio
    www.pmiaudio.com

Thread Information