Joe Meek

FourEyesRock

Hey, ive been reading about the new Joe Meek product line coming out soon with a little more beef under its new management of PMIaudio. The thing i had my eye on was the Jm828 2 bus 8 channel mic pre. Ive read almost all of the past stuff written in this forum about Joe Meek and sad to say many people were disappointed with the results they got. Im not sure if they were all just following what they heard from one person but from my experience with them they seem to sound damn good for the money. Now. i dont know too much about PMIaudio but i do know they work with Studio Projects and that alone impresses me...Studio projects is definatly worth the money in my opinion. Anyways, to the question. Has anyone heard anything else on the new Joe Meek jm828 except for the stuff on their website and PMIaudio's website? Would it ultimatey be worth the money? I hope its better sounding than the Digimax Presonus (looks cool but i heard the pre's arent so cool). Anyone have any news or advice?

-mike

Mike this advice may sound somewhat generic, however, finding a dealer with a liberal return policy will give you some time to check out a unit to hear if it's right for you-much better than trying to assess that in a typical "Banjo Depot" environment.

As far as any anyone "disapointed" with the Meek stuff, keep in mind that the vast majority seem to be happy with their purchase.
I think the main issue with the "old" Meek units was the learning curve for novices like myself to use the compressor effectively.
And when we talk about the pro's and con's of the Meek pre's,
in their time-a few years ago, they were one of the better choices in their price range for home/project studio use.
The VC1 series and its various incarnations have been used on
high profile commercial releases BTW.

Alan Hyatt, the owner of both Studio Projects and Joe Meek, plans to upgrade Joe Meek line. You may want to e-mail him with your questions so he can address any concerns.

Chris

FourEyesRock said:
...Ive read almost all of the past stuff written in this forum about Joe Meek and sad to say many people were disappointed with the results they got ...

-mike

I've been hanging here for three years, and people who have owned the VC6Q, VC1Q or TwinQ haven't been disappointed.

The new designs on the Joemeek are leap years ahead of what they were. Transformers are back on all the units and are now even switchable in or out for added flexibility.

The compressor is just like the first V105, yet even better. Back to that in your face agressive sound, but still transparent and smooth. The EQ has been upgraded to sweepable low and mid frequencies, and a dual selectable high frequency all using peaking type circuits.

All digital conversions are standard, and in the case of the replacement for the 1Q, the enhancer and de-esser are now two seperate components that actually work with filtering and Q. The upper end units have AES/EBU, SPDIF, Optical and Word Clock as standard at 24bit 96K. The half rack units and the 1U unit have SPDIF only, but it is standard...not an option.

All the compressors have finally been given a Gain Make-Up control so when you A/B the compressed and uncompressed sound, you don't blow out your tweeters.

There is much much more, but that will have to wait. I need some surprises! 75 to 90 days out for the Dual Channel as well as the 8 channel JM-828. Then one unit each month until they are all out.

RecTechMin said:
i have a vc1q. did you say something about replacing old units with new ones or am i out of my mind here?
-teddy

If PMI were willing to do that, I'd buy a whole 'nother unit, and most of the SP microphone line :)

Thats taking care of the customer!!!

-Chris

RecTechMin said:
i have a vc1q. did you say something about replacing old units with new ones or am i out of my mind here?
-teddy

Well, you may be out of your mind, but not when it comes to the exchange program.

We will offer an upgrade exchange to turn in your old Meek for the new ones, "plus money". There is no straight trade, and you may not like the deal when it is offered, but we are going to do this. We will use the old Meeks for parts to keep reparing the old units.

Either way, you will want the new units as they are that much better.

chessrock said:
Did you do anything about the 2017 chips they were using? :D

Yes Chessrock, we are not using them. We went back to the Transformer front ends and updated all the circuits. Allan Bradford did a great job on this mic amp. All op amps are Burr Brown. We even have a new switch on the front panel called "Iron". This allws the transformer to switched into the circuit, or to be switched out, so there is two seperate ways the mic amp operates in.

Alan, please, oh please, hurry along with the "new, improved" Joe Meek MQ3s!!!! I really, really want one, NOW! LOL

Tom

Tomcat said:
Alan, please, oh please, hurry along with the "new, improved" Joe Meek MQ3s!!!! I really, really want one, NOW! LOL

Tom

Good things take time. The new replacement for the MQ3 will be the fouth unit to be come out. We are doing the JM828, the Dual Channel TwinQ, then the 1Q, then the MQ3, followed by several other compressors and channels.

Hang in there.

zbert said:
OK Alan, I think I'm sold. How much will I have to save to buy the twin Q ? (street price that is)

The retail of the TwinQ replacement should stay the same, especially since we don't have to pay the old manufacturer anymore. So, $999.99 retail, and we hope about $800.00 on the street. If we can do better...we will.

Alan

So what do you think about TFPRO's (Ted Fletcher's) new gear then? They too are 'improving' on the past models, but I believe in a different direction to yourselves? Are you retaining the infamous green, as they are going with red now?

I feel a few interesting shoot-outs coming up!

He's commented a bit over at RO and I believe Gearslutz about it (because he was asked). Let me just say now that PMI Audio has Joe Meek, I'm finally actually interested in some of the Joe Meek units that will be coming-out in the future. But damn, I want to try a Toft DC-2 more than anything else though!!!

Mr Funk said:
Alan

So what do you think about TFPRO's (Ted Fletcher's) new gear then? They too are 'improving' on the past models, but I believe in a different direction to yourselves? Are you retaining the infamous green, as they are going with red now?

I feel a few interesting shoot-outs coming up!

Yes, the Green stays. As for Ted Fletcher, lets let it be for now. This will unfold more in a couple of months.

Well, Alan, I've got a twinQ with the digital upgrade, and I am very happy with it, since I found the problem with the digital upgrade card. It seems some hamhanded dork at Macmidimusic bent down one of the contact plates installing the upgrade (which I did not ask them to do). When I straightened out the plate and installed the card properly, the hum from hell was gone!
As much as I like this pre, I'm pretty much comitted to the upgrade when the new twinQ becomes available. Just give me the price and the shipping date and I'm there!-Richie

Let me add my enthusiasm for the replacement program. I'm just an amateur with an MQ3, but I'm in for the new version!

Fab

Back