Issue with 500 series chassis and electrical hum

achase4u

Hey all - I have a Lindell 503 power chassis. I have been using a Phoenix DRS1R Preamp in the first slot for about 5 months now, no issues. I recently got an A designs P1 as well.

All was fine, then after a couple days, I got allot of electrical hum happening, much above the noise floor of the preamp. I swapped the two modules around in various slot combinations, only to find than either module hums when in slot 2 or 3(closer to the power output). Here is the very interesting bit: If I have a condenser plugged in and turn on phantom power - the noise goes away completely. As soon as phantom is disengaged, it comes back. Now, without any mic plugged into the chassis, this phantom power trick doesn't work -the hum remains...

These tests are all done with a mic connected and without a mic cable connected to the input at all. I'm going via XLR output on the chassis to TRS balanced input line level on a Roland Octa Capture.

Any clues?

Hey Achase,

By any chance did you use a cable tester on the cable used for the Phoenix and the P1. I know that is very basic, no insult intended. I do not use Lindell 500 cases. I am not a fan of the exposed internals. It seems like an accident waiting to happen.
You are not using a patch bay so that ground is not in play. I would go in this order, cables, power supply ( the 500 power supply and where you have it plugged into.) It sounds like you have only used the box with one module. Maybe it can not handle the second mod. Have you double checked the compatibility of the two with each other as well as with the box? The converters, are they connected to the same main power supply as the Lindell?

Sorry I can't just give you the fix. There are a bit to many things to consider. Specially not being able to talk to you in real time.

Jojo

Hi Jojo,

Thanks so much for replying. Sorry I am late - the notification went to my spam folder.

I actually don't have a cable tester - but I make my own with Mogami and Neutrik EMC's and test simply with a volt meter. I swapped cables etc - still a problem. After not getting much of a response from Lindell service, I bought a Radial six pack and it is working flawlessly now. I am not big on the design of the Lindell, nor the customer support(basically non-existent)

There must be something bunko in the power supply...

Hey achase, you might like to check out this link. These are reall good 11 space, 500 series racks. If you like to or would like to build your 500 rack. I love them. The power supply is seperate from the rack. Less heat and EMF interference. They are not hard to build. You can get 2 X 11 unit racks with 1 power supply, including cables for 998$. Excellent price and excellent unit. No problems for 3 years so far.

Classic Audio Products of IL, Inc.

Those look interesting! I don't mind building. I may try that out. Does the 1 power supply power both 11 rack units?

Back