Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Converter Comparisons ...

Thanks

Interesting Converter Comparisons ...

Sign in to disable this ad
    Alright, so I have, in my posession, three different types of converters.

I have what many would consider to be a mid-level consumer / prosumer audio interface. I also have a stand-alone a/d converter that many would consider to be a pretty high end / expensive piece. Also in my posession is an el-cheapo stand-alone consumer A/D converter.

For fun, I decided to do what I consider to be a valid comparison of the three units. What I did is take an existing rough mix of one of my clients, and I ran it through each converter. Four times. Each time, I used the exact same D/A. The idea, again, is to test the differences in the A/D.

Levels have been matched pretty well. Signal path, in each case, has been kept as simple as possible. Each one used it's own clock, because I feel that to be an important component of the converter and should be part of the comparison.

Anyway, you can find the files here:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...3503&alid=1578

Honestly, guys, I think it's pretty damn interesting. I've always felt that comparing converters was a pretty hair-splitting exercise, and I think this comparison lends credence to that. After 4 generations of A/D, you should be able to start hearing some of the degredation that each converter imparts to the audio, and you should start hearing what each unit brings to the table.

Thanks
    Hairsplitting indeed. I'm going with #2 sounding best, but don't ask me why.

Thanks
    option 4 - they all sound like crap.

It's hard to tell from those examples as the air is pretty much non-existant, and the top end is pretty well hosed in all of them. Bad mp3 conversion maybe?

Thanks
    so did you finally see the light?

Thanks
    It is easy to hear the difference between sample1, and samples 2 AND 3.
    In other words, Sample1 is clearly inferior to 2 and 3. Where it becomes and issue of hairsplitting is between 2 and 3. If i had to choose quickly, i would select sample 3 as the best.

The difference between sample1, and the others is pretty big (relatively speaking!), so i cant really see the validity in blaming mp3 conversion for not being able to hear stuff. Interesting test.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teainthesahara
    I cant really see the validity in blaming mp3 conversion for not being able to hear stuff. Interesting test.

So you hear "air" in those samples? You think the highs sound fine in those samples? Where did I say I couldn't hear a difference? You are the one that said 2 and 3 were too close to call.......

edit - and for the record I'm saying the are in order 1,2,3 - Guessing 3 is not exactly "high-end" though.

Also, I am not here saying converters will make or break you. I do think they make as much, probably more, diffrence than preamps. But, If you really want to be humbled, pick up Joshua Judges Ruth by Lyle Lovett - recorded straight to 16 bit converters from the late 80's early 90's - not exactly High end by todays standards for sure. That album sounds flippin amazing......
    Last edited by NL5; 09-14-2006 at 11:52.

Thanks
    i hear some rice crispy type stuff going on in 1 but I doubt that anyone that was'nt looking for such things would ever notice it. i don't hear a great difference in the 3 samples. i took a few quick listens and i'm going to listen some more, just to see.

Thanks
    on the tom hits in the intro, i hear a slight difference in the "crispies" in between 2 and 3. 3 having slightly more crispies than 2. what are these "crispies" called?

Thanks
    3 is best, 1 is second, 2 is worst. But I cheated

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisinFlorida
    on the tom hits in the intro, i hear a slight difference in the "crispies" in between 2 and 3. 3 having slightly more crispies than 2. what are these "crispies" called?
    I like "crispies".

Thread Information