I want studio furniture but my rack-mount space would be empty!

DAS19

If you were to ahve nothing in the rack and wanted it to fill out the studio what would you start with.

Sorry if you think its dumb that I might not need it but want it to look good and impress clients. I think that is a big factor to drawing in people to record.

I agree that the look is important. But it also depends on the type of musician you are recording or marketing to. I have a bare bones studio with the most uncomfortable metal chairs for people to sit on. I dont do any advertising. my only projects ahve come word of mouth . . . these folk havent cared or been in a position to care aobut teh atmosphere - as long as they are happy with what comes out at the end. . .

just put in some cheap power conditioners, maybe a headphone amp and a patch bay and a rack mount guitar tuner and stuff

Fill it with things you really need and that will help you make great recordings. To have a rack sitting there for looks only won't fool anybody in my opinion. I don't see how clients will be impressed by a useless rack filled with guitar tuners and power distributors.

Think about what rack gear will actually enhance your recordings and start collecting that. Or just go without the rack and use the space for another chair or something that will make your work space more comfortable and ergonomic.

fill it with a fish aquarium?
just kidding.

I think empty looks better than filling it with crap.

If you must fill it, at least have shiny new Furman $29 power strips in there or a bunch of new fake $20 patchbays that aren't used.

Are you talking about

the rack space in a desk, or a standalone rack?

If it's a standalone rack, then forget it, it's not necessary.

If you're talking about the rack space in a desk, then just put a blank panel in it, something that looks nice with whatever the desk is made out of, but isn't there to fool anybody.

Heck, you could even put a photo over the panel, either of family, a pet, of someone famous that inspires you musically or otherwise.

Have fun.

If you were to ahve nothing in the rack and wanted it to fill out the studio what would you start with.

Sorry if you think its dumb that I might not need it but want it to look good and impress clients. I think that is a big factor to drawing in people to record.

If someone's going to be impressed by your rack, it won't be for shininess or cool-lookingness. I wouldn't choose a studio based on rack gear, but on the quality of their other projects. However, I would drool shamelessly when faced with this, this, a couple of these, and, of COURSE, a whole mess of these.

Back