i should know the answer to this...

Phosphene

Horse Diaper
on the back of my cheap ass Alesis compressor there is a switch for -10dbV and -4 dbu....for the input (i think its for the input)

----please explain the difference (even though ive read the difference but forget) and which one should i probably have it on if im running a preamp into it and then the compressor into a VS1880.

thanks a bunches

www.mp3.com/phosphene

It has to do with the operating level and output of the unit.
The +4 will be louder. Probably what yu want unless it overdrives your VS.

what does "dbV" and "dbu" stand for anyway? :(
basically its the two common operating levels systems use, right?

and i think i've seen another letter following the "db".. lol

Here's some technical info:

dBV: represents the level compared to 1 Volt RMS. 0dBV = 1V. There is no reference to impedance.

dBu: represents the level compared to 0.775 Volts RMS with an unloaded, open circuit (hence the u = unloaded).

and here's another letter to follow the db:

dBm: represents the power level compared to 1 mWatt. This is a level compared to 0.775 Volts RMS across a 600 Ohm load impedance. Note that this is a measurement of power, not a measurement of voltage. (this is a very common measurement in telephony or voice transmission circuitry - i.e. 300 - 3khz)

mike

teknomike said:
Here's some technical info:

dBV: represents the level compared to 1 Volt RMS. 0dBV = 1V. There is no reference to impedance.

dBu: represents the level compared to 0.775 Volts RMS with an unloaded, open circuit (hence the u = unloaded).

and here's another letter to follow the db:

dBm: represents the power level compared to 1 mWatt. This is a level compared to 0.775 Volts RMS across a 600 Ohm load impedance. Note that this is a measurement of power, not a measurement of voltage. (this is a very common measurement in telephony or voice transmission circuitry - i.e. 300 - 3khz)

mike

That's acctually the most concise explanation I've ever seen of this! I've seriously read the description of those 3 measurments in a number of books, and never really understood until just now. Thank man!

yep, thanks again...i read MEDIA IN RECORDING and it explained it...but i forget all the technical info sometimes....

thanks for the refresher course

heres a new one: dbFS

what the heck is dbFS? im resding it here in my rosetta handbook.... as if there werent enough forms of db for me to keep up with....

any info?

deciBels Full-Scale....

It refers to the meter scale that represents the full capacity level of a digital signal.

0dBFS signal corresponds to about +14VU on most VU or mixer peak meters (at least in North America - in Europe the metering standards can be different)

Back