I need to start off my RACK! Where should I start?

DAS19

Hey, I have a digital mixer and all the mics I need but I never got into my rack becuase I figured I need my mics before my rack stuff. I decided I can use vst effects until I can work my way up. Well im looking into starting my rack now what do I need exactly to do this. I no preamps are good but do I want to go and spend 500 dollars on a preamp? What do I have to spend on my rack to really make a difference in the sound? Is it even worth a home studio in my room starting a rack?

Thanks
Dave

Why are you concerned about having a rack? There are decent pres for far less than $500.00 out there that are not rack mounted. Do a search on the M-Audio DMP3 for example... There are threads with audio samples up here, check them out.

BTW, it might help if you told us what kind of mixer you have. It might be good enough for what you need to do on it's own, as long as it has phantom power for your condensers.

racks look cool.

start out with a Furman Power conditioner.

and do you have passive monitors that have an amp?

thats already possibly 3 spaces!

Build one!!!! :D

That's what I did. ;)

14 spaces over a 12"-deep drawer. 24" deep chassis. 48" tall. Took about a week to build in my living room. About $175 of cab-grade 3/4" oak ply and all the hardware/casters, and solid oak trim and stain/wax.

Highly recommended. ;)

In terms of effects and processing many people produce very respectable results using plug-ins, hardware isn't necessarily better, especially when we're talking about entry level and prosumer gear. If you can afford shit hot hardware then go crazy!

There are a gagillion mic pres out there from $30 to $3000. If you want better sounding pres than the ones in your mixer then yes, you'll probably want to get some standalone preamps. For $500 you won't be able to get many channels that will be an improvement in sound over the pres in a bog standard mixer though.

Read more.

This doesn't sound very helpful but it is. :D

Cult_Status02 said:
Haha, you're an ass! ;)
thats what all my negative reps tell me so it must be true! :D :eek: :D

also, i'm not familiar with the interface you might have, but if you are looking for pre's, maybe a used Digimax LT would suit you. if you don't have adat, i think it might still have analog outs, possibly, but don't hold me to that.

Mic pre, that's a good place to start. ART MPA Gold is nice... Then EQ! Outboard EQ is essential... :) Then a comp :D

TC Electronic C-300 Dual Stereo Gate/Compressor

Furman M-8 Power Conditioner

Lexicon MX200 Dual Reverb/Effects Processor

and that art pre amp that was mentioned earlier is amazing too

thos top 3 are great sounding rack units and amazing for the money. the lexicon mx200 is amazing, it has vst plug ins and tons of amazing USABLE effects. the power conditioner is CHEAP and works great, and the compressor/gate is amazing. i used that compressor with the last studio i was in and it worked incredibly well. im going to pick one up for myself now.

good luck

DAS19 said:
outboard eq is?
Outboard eq is by no means 'essential'.

Get a good recording/listening environment (acoustics), a good monitoring chain, a good selection of mics and preamps and a decent interface.

Those things, and knowing what to do with them are 'essential' for making good recordings (along with talented players and good sounding instruments of course).

Assuming you're on a restricted budget then concentrate on those things.

Hardware's very nice to have but I don't think outboard eq, comps and verbs are a high priority for someone just getting set up, especially considering the quality of plugs these days.

what exactly is a monitoring chain I hear this all the time can anyone confirm this?

im probalby just going to save for a nice preamp and leave it at that.

TragikRemix said:
racks look cool.

start out with a Furman Power conditioner.

and do you have passive monitors that have an amp?

thats already possibly 3 spaces!

Hey! That's my rack...only I have a rack tray and a patchbay, too. Now I need some gear! :D

The way I see it, if you don't know what to put in your rack, then you probably don't need one. I don't have a rack, some of my friends do. But they didn't build their rack for the purpose of having a rack. Over the years they accumulated gear, and eventually decided it needed mounting neatly.

Better to think about what individual bits of gear you need for your music, and then decide whether you need hardware, or can it be done with software. From a software perspective, my rack is huge, but again, just stuff I have accumulated. Basically, don't just buy stuff for the sake of it. Don't build a rack for the sake of having a rack. You may find that one or 2 bits of gear is all you need. I much prefer having my trusty one or two favourite gadgets I'd be lost without, than the idea of having a shedload of stuff I might not use.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
Outboard eq is by no means 'essential'.

Get a good recording/listening environment (acoustics), a good monitoring chain, a good selection of mics and preamps and a decent interface.

Those things, and knowing what to do with them are 'essential' for making good recordings (along with talented players and good sounding instruments of course).

Assuming you're on a restricted budget then concentrate on those things.

Hardware's very nice to have but I don't think outboard eq, comps and verbs are a high priority for someone just getting set up, especially considering the quality of plugs these days.

Fine, twist your EQ knobs with you mouse... Indeed, there are nice plug in EQs (see voxengo.com). Or better yet, don't use EQ at all... Be like DeSchwazi and I quote "Get a good recording/listening environment (acoustics), a good monitoring chain, a good selection of mics and preamps and a decent interface."

Now, we're talking about a setup to get yourself started, right? Buy the fucking EQ! EQ is essential to getting the sound you want. Or use the plugs, whatever, but don't let clowns tell you that EQ is not essential. Anyone who says so spends too much time "not recording"! If you want to make shit music that sounds like everybody elses computer tunes, then by all means, pay no attention to EQ. Do some research! Read the books by the pros! Don't always listen to clowns on this board! Play safe!

I have to chime in about the EQ thing. EQ is almost unnecessary when the source is captured correctly. I will use cuts via plugs but never bumps. There are a lot of people that feel the need to EQ everything and their mixes show it. Outboard EQ should be the last thing someone just starting out should be purchasing. If you don't have the ability to twist knobs you'll learn how to place mics. Spend the money on room treatment or preamps before outboard EQ.

Micter said:
I have to chime in about the EQ thing. EQ is almost unnecessary when the source is captured correctly. I will use cuts via plugs but never bumps. There are a lot of people that feel the need to EQ everything and their mixes show it. Outboard EQ should be the last thing someone just starting out should be purchasing. If you don't have the ability to twist knobs you'll learn how to place mics. Spend the money on room treatment or preamps before outboard EQ.

I hear that, Micter.

I suppose it depends on what you're recording and how you plan to fit it in the mix... I was recording a CR-8000 analog drum machine the other day, and if I weren’t able to cut the hell out of the 150Hz - 2.5kHz range, it would have been pure mud... big time. If I didn't have my EQ, I would not have been able to get the sound I wanted.

Conversely, there have been times when I've needed no EQ at all... on acoustic guitar, vocals for example. It depends.

Nonetheless, I think it's ridiculous to think that EQ is not essential to home recording, and a complete bone-move to not recommend it to someone starting out, because they will learn to use it to their advantage.

imho i'd start with a good pre(s), then compressor, then eq or effects. ymmv.
good pres properly driven will make a huge difference when it comes time to mix.

Back