I need Pedallboards 101.

I have never used a pedalboard and know nothing about them. I am now changing my recording methods a bit and a pedalboard seems to perhaps be a good idea, rather than kicking a number of pedals around on a concrete floor. I am unlikely to use a pedal or pedals on each and every recording. I can't see using more than three at one time. I have tremolo, reverb, compression, distortion (seldom used,) a Sansamp Blonde, and will likely buy a Zoom B3 Bass Preamp/Effects Unit. I might use two or three of them for a week, then have them off for two weeks. It varies. Some are bigger than others. I actually can't find a "Pedalboards 101" on the internet. Near as I can figger, these are my main questions:
1) Is it best to buy one with a power supply (PS) ?
2) I understand that some PS are plugin units, some are rechargeable batteries, the latter having the benefit of avoiding electric interference from the power supply and/or other gear in the room. Yes? Which is preferable?
3) Do (some) boards come with connector cables to daisy chain the pedals?
4) If you have six pedals on the board, and decide to use #3 and #6 on a particular track, does the current travel through all six, and if so, without affecting the signal or sound?
Thanks for any help.

Here's some info :How To Build a Pedalboard | Sweetwater ,Pedal Power Buying Guide | Sweetwater , 6 Pedalboard Mistakes You Don't Want to Make | Sweetwater

I have made my own "board" and have also bought premade. They are sold both with or without power supply, though i will say right out of the gate that the less expensive power supplies tend to be noisier IME.

A piece of MDF with some felt glued on and a bit of wood on one bottom edge to give it an angle is about as good as some of the boards out there and a bit of velcro tape can be used to hold pedals non permanently. Then more money can be put into the power supply which is where you want it.

The topology of a power supply is a "star" or parallel type of circuit which allows each pedal the correct voltage without dropping. The total current draw for pedals is usually minimal, but there are exceptions so it is something you must allow for.

They are sold both with or without power supply, though i will say right out of the gate that the less expensive power supplies tend to be noisier IME...... Then more money can be put into the power supply which is where you want it.

Thanks very much, Gtoboy. Of course, your reply raises more questions :<) -
1) Could you give an example of a power supply, or a price range, which you think of acceptable quality?

2) Do you, or do many people (in your experience) use the rechargeable battery type? As wikipedia says:
""The third approach is to use a powerful rechargeable battery to drive all the pedals, and a battery charger to recharge the battery. This eliminates ground loops because the pedals are grounded at a single point: the amplifier. There are batteries on the market that can power over 20 effects pedals for eight hours on a single charge. The effects pedals are connected to the rechargeable battery via isolated DC-DC converters, which produce the required voltages. "" I see the attraction of that, it might avoid some problems.
Thanks again.

I would say for a good PS you will probably be looking at the range ~150*250 USD for an 8-10 output supply. The more you spend, the more shielding and current handling you get. The higher priced are the most road worthy which may not be a requirement for you.

I haven't looked into the rechargeable option, but IME I would prefer a lithium ion solution which, while more expensive than NiCad should offer a more predictable usage time, however, I honestly don't know what is available.

Ah, going down the rabbit hole I see. :)

No need to go crazy and overthink things.

A pedal train board and a voodoo labs PS are good, durable, flexible and versatile.

I’d get at least a 6 output PS and buy a bigger board than you’ll think you need.

Once infected with pedal acquisition, you’re toast. You’ll get more lol:)

I recall my own journey. I wasn’t a ‘pedal guy’. But I needed ONE versatile overdrive pedal to boost a very clean tube amp. I had no choice, my band mates would have shot me for the volume levels it took to get my Fender Showman into the sweet spot where it would break up without pedal assistance;)

Now, I have more pedals than I can remember, and have three different pedalboards. I’m always wondering which one to bring :)

For most people the right answer to the “what power supply” is probably the Truetone OneSpot. It isn’t too expensive, and looks like any old wallwart, but it is very rigorously designed and tested and built to perform. It will protect itself from over-current (even dead short) situations rather than burning up, and might even stop itself from blowing up your pedal if you get the polarity wrong.

Digital pedals draw a lot more current than you might expect, so definitely do the math and leave yourself a safety margin. I strongly suggest avoiding Line6 pedals and anything else that uses 9V AC supplies because the damn things fit in your other pedals but will kill them in seconds.

For most people the right answer to the “what power supply” is probably the Truetone OneSpot. It isn’t too expensive, and looks like any old wallwart, but it is very rigorously designed and tested and built to perform. It will protect itself from over-current (even dead short) situations rather than burning up, and might even stop itself from blowing up your pedal if you get the polarity wrong.

Digital pedals draw a lot more current than you might expect, so definitely do the math and leave yourself a safety margin. I strongly suggest avoiding Line6 pedals and anything else that uses 9V AC supplies because the damn things fit in your other pedals but will kill them in seconds.

Thanks for that. I have to pick up a bass at the local music store, so I have ordered a Truetone OneSpot, which happens to be on sale.Also, I'll have to keep a closer eye on the power requirements [AC/DC] of pedals 'm looking at, and inspect the ones I already own.

Back