I need a little compression... and I am sick of Software Compression

faabud

I am looking to purchase a little compressor/limiter. I don't need nothing to expensive. I got less then $200 to spend (in CDN money). It will be used for rap. Currently I have been using Soundforge, Cool Edit etc for Compression but I don't like how it turns out. Sometimes I have to run a compression twice with Cool Edit using the Vocal Limiter. If I run through compression twice it's alright but too much noise gets brought up. So I want a external hardware compressor to lightly compress the vocals as they go in. Hopefully add warmth and then tweak the sound in a wav file in Cool Edit or SoundForge. I am using a Shure Sm58, A Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro Mixer (mainly for pre amps). I have a Sound Blaster Live Plat 5.1 Sound Card (I'm changing to a Darla later on, but the SB is still not that bad!). Anyways any suggestions. Thanks

I don't think thats in Canadian money is it? The main stores that I can go to in my town are Mothers Music (www.mothersmusic.com) or Axe Music (www.axemusic.com) if ya could look at the site and the selection then guide me. I'll look at that compressor ya gave a link though see if it's on either site

I just looked around including the online site 8thstreet (www.8thstreet.com) and couldn't find the RNC. I was hearing some nice things about that. Here's a more specific question.

Which brands are known for good compressors... Yamaha, Roland, Alesis, Presonus etc?

http://www.ontariostaging.com/index1.htm

255.00 Canadian for a RNC here.....the current exchange rate for Canadian to USA is .63605 so you 200 Canadian is worth about 127.21.....Im not sure of anything in this price range that will give you better than what you have already...maybe someone else has an idea....I think MisterQcue has that Behringer mdx1400 Autocom, which may fall in that price range....Q?...

Sam Ash in NYC may still have some AutoComs for US$75.00-80.00. The RNC goes for 175.00.
The ComposerPro @ 90.00 and the MultiCom@120.00

Where in Canada are you? I'm sure either of the companies you listed can get it for you. If not, order it from 8thstreet or one of the other online stores. After exchange and duty I doubt it will be much more.

I am from Edmonton, Alberta Canada!
I can get Alesis, Yamaha, Behringer etc... all the stuff listed at www.axemusic.com and www.mothersmusic.com so theres quite few except no RNC :(
I don't want to order it off the net since I want it fairly soon and you know internet orders to Canada take like 4 weeks unless you pay some damn high shipping prices. So I'd rather get something from Mothers Music (which is a national store) or Axe Music (another national store). Thanks! I'll try to get them to special order a RNC though... The store is closed today so I'll try tomorrow

Hey, Faabud

As a fellow Canadian, one tip...... don't order from the states, after conversion, shipping and duty.... U will be soo poor U won't know what to do. Keep your purchase here in Canada.

Sabith

Yes I realize that ordering from the states sucks. I am a bit relucant to purchase from the Ontario Staging site as their is no real place on the site to buy the products. I think they do it by email. Which I feel is not reliable. If a website wants to sell a product I think they should atleast have a more professional site along with a form to complete to buy a product. The little things make me feel more safe. So I am still sticking with the local stores instead of ordering off the net. I know it's safe to order things off the net since I have before but unsure about that website. If it was a more bigger known site maybe.

Actually I've ordered a few things from the US and ended up saving quite a bit of money, even after shipping and duty/taxes, exchange rate depending. Microphones for one thing can be much less ordered from the US. Of course, I prefer to buy local as well and I do 99% of the time. Faabud, someone else recently ordered something from Ontario Stage and Lighting. They were quite happy with the service. You could always give them a phone call.

What about Tom Lee's in Vancouver?

http://www.tomleemusic.ca/

Back