How will I know if my pre isn't strong enough for AEA R84?

Bodhisan

Hillbilly
I've got the VTB1 and VCQ3. Does the answer lie purely in how much signal is coming into the pre and showing on the LED, or will the extra-added gain through the output make a difference? Since I haven't heard this mic through a really nice pre, I have nothing to compare my recorded sound with,i.e. whether I'm getting fully what this mike is capable of.

Recording: Mild to moderate vocals; acoustic instruments (mandolin, banjo, guitar, dobro, fiddle).

I don't have the mike yet (should get it Wednesday or so), but wanted to get an idea before I hear what's coming through my headphones.

Bodhisan, the output doesn't make a difference. You need to be able to get enough input from the mic from the input gain of the pre. You'll know as soon as you plug the mic in and crank up. If you can get enough good signal-to-noise ratio while still getting the necessary input level - then you're in good shape and can then adjust the output level for the best track level on your DAW.

OTOH, if you can't get enough gain from your pre's gain input stage - the output level's not going to matter anyway. You don't get any real "gain" at the output stage as far as the mic and its level is concerned.

You need to be able to get a good signal from the input gain stage.
Then - how much of that "good signal" hits your DAW is up to the output stage of the pre.

Back