Help!!, Behringer Truth B3031A speaker turns off after a minute

lederad

Hello, I've been having an issue with one of my active monitors, Behringer Truth B3031A lately, no idea what can be the problem ??
I turn the speaker ON, it works for about a minute and then turns off completely, then I turn the OFF switch on the back, the Green light pops for a sec, there's some short "pup" sound and it's done .

If I turn it ON again, it's ON for a couple of seconds and goes off, again .

and I basically with no left monitor for about a week now, already took it to a repair shop, they said there's nothing wrong with the speaker, they just cleaned it up basically,
and indeed it worked just fine there, I brought it home - same thing all over again, what can it be ????

thanks in advance .

Have you tried turning it on with nothing connected (except for power)?

What interface are you using?

Hi, of course, and I made sure the Power Mode is on ON and not on auto (since there's no audio connected) .
the weird thing that for example yesterday it worked just fine, for like 7 hours straight without any problems, but today - same story .
and I always make sure to turn the monitors last, after the pc etc .
no idea what's the problem to be honest .
Interface ? Focusrite 6I6 .

So when you turn it on without anyting connected, does it do the same thing, or does it just sit there, turned on, without problem?

Similarly, if you have it connected and let it run with out you pushing any audio through it , does it cut off?

So when you turn it on without anyting connected, does it do the same thing, or does it just sit there, turned on, without problem?

Similarly, if you have it connected and let it run with out you pushing any audio through it , does it cut off?

When I turn it on with nothing connected to it - it's the same problem, turns off after a minute, but sometimes holds, I'm beginning to think maybe it's some electrical problem or something ?
no idea.... but then why the other speaker works just fine ??

Given what you have tried, it does appear more likely that it is a problem with the speaker, rather than a problem somewhere else (such as the ouput of the interface spiking and causing the speaker to shut down).

When the speaker cuts off, doies the overload LED on the front light up?

It's possible that the overload protection circuitry is failing in someway.

Given what you have tried, it does appear more likely that it is a problem with the speaker, rather than a problem somewhere else (such as the ouput of the interface spiking and causing the speaker to shut down).

When the speaker cuts off, doies the overload LED on the front light up?

It's possible that the overload protection circuitry is failing in someway.

yeah I bet there's some issue with the speaker :(
and no, the Red overload light doesn't turn on at all, there's only the Green one and it goes off quietly, no "pop" no nothing .

A few more basic checks to do.

1 Swap over power cables for the speakers (in case it5's the unlikely event of a power cable being faulty).

2 Is the power cable properly seated at the back of the speaker, and in its power point?

It's possible the power supply path is compromised. This could be a simple thing (like the cable), or maybe a loose conection somewhere, maybe a bad solder joint.

A few more basic checks to do.

1 Swap over power cables for the speakers (in case it5's the unlikely event of a power cable being faulty).

2 Is the power cable properly seated at the back of the speaker, and in its power point?

It's possible the power supply path is compromised. This could be a simple thing (like the cable), or maybe a loose conection somewhere, maybe a bad solder joint.

oh, the cable was the first thing I changed initially, well 4 different ones to be exact, 2 brand new ones, so that can't be it .
as for bad solder joint - as I said, the speaker was already in the repair shop, they checked all the connections and cleaned everything inside . shall I take it there again ?

I have no idea what's the issue here, cause it works just fine as we speak.... one of those "good" days I guess, but I just know it won't work once I'll turn it off and turn on again, or maybe it will, you know ? so irritating .
I wish there would be a way to connect BOTH speakers somehow, electrically I mean, or something .
thank you for your help, really, I read online something about "power-conditioner", maybe I should get one ?

To partition between the speakers or the electronics, you could swap the speakers from cabinet to cabinet, l to r. If the problem follows the speakers, its the speakers....if not its the electronics are the issue, same concept as youre already doing with cables etc..

can you unplug the power supply from the amp board, see if the power supply shuts down or not...might partition your P/S with a No-Load situation.

good luck... I surfed a bit and numerous Behringer monitors randomly turning off posts

Not sure where you are from, but Behringer and their various country agents (not necessarily the retailers !!!) I have always found to be excellent at giving service and customer service requests, so can I suggest that you contact the Behringer importer in your country and tell them exactly what you have been experiencing.

Also have you tried the Behringer online community forum, you can generally get great advice from there and I believe that Behringer do actually look at the forum and often join in conversations, or simply contact their support section ( Behringer | Service ).

Finally, to me it sounds as if you have either a temperature problem (most probably caused by a bit of faulty circuit or a circuit component) or just a failing of some component. I would be most surprised if it was caused by something externally

David

If the shop said they found nothing wrong with it, how about this test: Swap the left and right channel cables that drive that monitor system. Now if the problem stays on that left side now that you are feeding it with what is your right channel, then I'd say that you have a problem somewhere in the monitor or its power supply; and don't forget a bad power cord which could move just enough after you power it on. If the problem moves with you when you swap the cables, then the problem would be in the equipment driving the monitor system.

Berringer had some problems with cold-solder joints in some of its equipment several years ago. I bought a mixer which worked for a few months, then began to behave erratically. I had another unit of the same model that had big noise problems in its digital effects processor only a few days after I bought it. I would hope that by now they have resolved that issue, so I don't want to badmouth Berringer if they don't deserve it. The fact that his monitor plays about a minute makes me wonder whether there is some component that is heating too much, then drawing enough extra current to shut down the unit.

I too would like to know the OP's 10/20 because I think he has a sometimes high mains supply voltage.
The extra voltage could be causing the protection circuits in one speaker to trip becuase they are set a bit on the pessimistic side.

Some years ago "we" had a problem with a small guitar amplifier that only showed under certain conditions one of which was mains well above our 'normal' 240volts.

Dave.

I too would like to know the OP's 10/20 because I think he has a sometimes high mains supply voltage.
The extra voltage could be causing the protection circuits in one speaker to trip becuase they are set a bit on the pessimistic side.

Some years ago "we" had a problem with a small guitar amplifier that only showed under certain conditions one of which was mains well above our 'normal' 240volts.

Dave.

thank you for replying, the problem is still there, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, by now (I think) I've tried everything :
swapped power cables (not between the speakers, but I used 4 different electrical cables, some with 3 pins, some with 2) nothing seem to make any difference .
swapped Audio inputs, from left to right and from right to left, same thing .

I'll tell you what I DID notice though, maybe it shall shed some light on the situation as it's a little above my knowledge, I'm a musician, what do I know...lol

though there's no "pop" sound when I turn it on, yesterday something weird happen :
I turned the problematic speaker on, it lasted for a minute, turned off, then I went to turn off the Good speaker and I heard a "pop" while turning off, then I turned them both and the sound was gone on BOTH,
then I literally turned off the power for the entire system, the speakers, the PC, the keyboards, everything, unplugged at once and then put it back and what do you know, everything was working for good 8-9 hours, as it should .
today though it's acting up again, I guess I could do the "plug off the room" again, but I can't do it all the time, so there must be some other solution .
couple of days ago I called for electrician and he changed the thingy in the Power Closet, said it was set to too low of a power, honestly it made no difference, but at least I know that's not the issue .
the only thing left is the power in the entire building, I read somewhere that even though each "house" has it's own power counter, there could be a situation that something in the building could interfere with speakers and since I can't go from door to door to ask around, we're back to square 1 .
what else can I do ?
and where's the guarantee that if I'll get another set of monitors, they won't do the same ?
the way I see it, it's something electrical, and though both speakers exactly the same, it doesn't seem to mean anything at all .
I even exchanged the electrical fuse between the speakers, that's not it either I guess, as the Good speaker worked with the fuse from the Bad one .

Well I DO know a bit about electricity and I have NO IDEA what that "thing in the closet" was and doubt there was in fact anything to adjust.

I would love to know what you actual mains voltage is but that is something only a pro can check or you can buy 'consumption' meters but make sure you get one that displays the line voltage.

Only treating the symptoms I know but you could buy a wireless mains switch. Fit it to the supply to all the kit (they are rated to 13A, way above even the biggest home audio setup) and you can then do a "Hard reset" from your fave chair, G&T in the other hand.
I have a TV that plays silly buggers a mains cycle sorts it for about a week.

Dave.

I’ve had those monitors. They turn themselves off if you play too low an input into them for long enough. (Not silent, just low volume.) I wonder if the one monitor isn’t detecting signal properly.

Edit: sorry for the thread necro, hope you got it all sorted out.

The good news is that having two gives a great chance for finding the fault. I'd guess that it's a capacitor in the power supply, or a dry joint in that area - timed cutoffs often signify leakage and that's what triggers the shutoff. A capacitor that takes a while to charge up and then a component to protect does it's job and its off.

If you have some test hear like a sensitive meter, just compare points in both units until you find a difference, and this will usually give you a clear hint to the area where the fault is located. If you can't do this kind of stuff, then if it's out of warranty - and it's I think 3 years on these units, find a repair shop who know their stuff. Yours clearly doesn't.

Easlern makes a good point. t's worth checking out. The monitors have a sleep function that you can activate with a switch on the back. If this is on, the monitors will turn off when not in use, or when there is a very small signall. If this feature is on, try turning it off.

Back