Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Re-amping

Thanks

Guitar Re-amping

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi! I would like to understand how re-amping works. I have an active DI box by Radial engineering I use for bass guitars which I can use also to record clean guitars. I saw a video that uses a Radial re-amp box that is not very expensive piece of equipment. My question arises because the input of this box (I believe that it is the PRORMP) has an XLR input while th Focusrite 18i20 has only 1/4 inch jack line outputs. So I would like to know what type of equipment is required / should I use to do guitar re-amping properly. Or is the 18i20 not designed for this method of recording?

Thanks
    You simply need a cable with xlr on one end and 1/4 on the other.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thanks
    1/4" TRS Male to Male XLR to be exact. Like THIS.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    so i don't need some interface box to do the change from 1/4 inch to XLR?

Thanks
    Nope, just a cable. The ProRMP 'is' the interface box you need between your Focusrite output and guitar amp.

Again, make sure you get the cable with TRS 1/4" Male on one end, and a Male XLR on the other (the one with the pins in the barrel).
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ex351d View Post
    so i don't need some interface box to do the change from 1/4 inch to XLR?
    Don't get confused between the type of connector and the type of signal the cable is carrying. You only need a 'converter box' when you are trying to turn one type of signal into another. In this case, you aren't.

For line level signals, xlr and 1/4 can be used interchangeably. You have to find out what type of signal the unit is putting out/expecting in order to know how to interface it with another unit.

For example, a mic input expects a mic signal, so you would need a DI box to convert a line level signal into a mic signal. But in your case, you have a 1/4 line output that you need to connect with an XLR line input, so you would only need to get a cable with the appropriate connectors on each end.
    Jay Walsh

Thanks
    thank you very much

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Farview View Post
    Don't get confused between the type of connector and the type of signal the cable is carrying. You only need a 'converter box' when you are trying to turn one type of signal into another. In this case, you aren't.

For line level signals, xlr and 1/4 can be used interchangeably. You have to find out what type of signal the unit is putting out/expecting in order to know how to interface it with another unit.

For example, a mic input expects a mic signal, so you would need a DI box to convert a line level signal into a mic signal. But in your case, you have a 1/4 line output that you need to connect with an XLR line input, so you would only need to get a cable with the appropriate connectors on each end.
    But line out is not instrument level, so wouldn't it be better to run the line out signal into the "out" side of a standard DI box and run the "in" side from the DI into an amp for solving impedance issues? A DI box is just a transformer so it should work both directions, or am I high again?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cafehonda View Post
    But line out is not instrument level, so wouldn't it be better to run the line out signal into the "out" side of a standard DI box and run the "in" side from the DI into an amp for solving impedance issues? A DI box is just a transformer so it should work both directions, or am I high again?
    It doesn't take care of the level of the signal though. Line out to an amp is like having 10 stompboxes in front of it. If you want the amp to react like it would to a natural guitar signal you need to step the line level down to instrument level.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cafehonda View Post
    That's what a re-amp device is for. It takes the line level and turns it into an instrument level signal.

Since a regular DI box takes a high impedance, high level signal and turns it into a low impedance, low level signal- if you run a high impedance, line level signal backwards through it, you will end up with a higher impedance, higher level signal coming out the input. It would make it worse, in other words.
    Jay Walsh

Thread Information