Focusrite or Presonus? or Option C?

vic91218

Hey guys,
I've been doing constant research for the best recording strip I could get for less than 1k. At one point I was looking at buying the 99 buck presonus gear...such as the comp16, headphone amp, and a couple of pre-amps. But I'm not sure about going that route anymore. Any thoughts?

Any ways,
I was looking at two products specifically to replace my prior idea. The Focusrite Twin Trak Pro and the Presonus Eureka. I haven’t heard a lot about either of these units. They are both reasonably priced. I'm willing to spend up to a grand...maybe a bit more....to get the best strip I can for the money.

List of currently owned equipment
voicemaster pro from presonus.
NTK Rode mic, AT 4033 mic
bidding on a dbx 242 EQ…don’t know if I’ll get it though.
Mackie cfx16

So maybe a strip is not the best choice here?

I'm confused...and I need some help on getting a direction and focus. If anyone could offer some advice...I'd very much appreciate it.

Please guys. Help me out before I spend money on something that just doesn't make sense.

Thanks,
-Vic

my rule of thumb is to not get strips. i suppose if you are investing $1K or more there are some decent ones out there, but i believe you will get better price/performance out of individual pieces. if you win that dbx 242, i think you will find that your $100ish EQ is about as good as anything else in the sub $500 range, and WAY better than any EQ you are gonna find in a $500 channel strip.

consider starting an OSA/API lunchbox. you can build a really high quality "channel strip" out of this.

look at atlas for details:

http://www.atlasproaudio.com/osa2.html

for $1K you can get a case and a pre. then add EQ and comp later.

Channel strips are useful if you're on a budget or you lack rack space. They are also helpful if you record youself and want to limit the number of knobs you're dialing while holding a guitar or other instrument in your lap. In addition, if you are working with a limited recording setup and you need to "print wet to tape," they can aid in that process. On the other hand, the components in the average channel strip are typically streamlined. So, for example, you don't get a full parametric EQ; you get the ability to cut or add at a few key frequencies deemed important by the manufacturer. Or you get a compressor that eliminates either attack or release or both. Finally, the more you record and the more you aspire to recording "dry" and mixing "wet," the more you wonder about having an EQ on the front end.

RNP/RNC combo with a Speck EQ. Then to top it off, a Behringer Ultrafex Pro. :D

That NTK sounds really good through a Sytek too.

After trying a bunch of the lower-cost options, I have settled on an RNP and an RNC, both from FMR. I recently picked up an older Joemeek C2 compressor for a "dirty" coloration. I only use software EQ cause I've got several and mix within Sonar anyway.

I have found the FMR stuff just flat sounds better than various ART units or the entry-level Joemeek strip, the Mq3, that I used to have. More headroom, cleaner, more depth.

Fab

List of currently owned equipment
voicemaster pro from presonus.
NTK Rode mic, AT 4033 mic
bidding on a dbx 242 EQ…don’t know if I’ll get it though.
Mackie cfx16

Voicemaster Pro is made by Focusrite not Presonus. If you have a Voicemaster then the Twintrak would not add much. Its the same preamp only in a double model version.

If you have an NTK through any Focusrite pre-amp, then with a little care, and judicious use of effects, you'll get great sounding recordings. The AT mic is also a good clean candidate.

Perhaps your focus should be on

your voice
your playing
your material
your recording technique

, and not on the rack.

Your rack as it stands will be more than adequate for quality recordings.

this forum is called "the rack" .

arent we supposed to focus on "the rack" here...

of course, the above post is good advice.

Back