Focusrite ISA-220 verse Avalon 737SP (Pre-amp questions)

Mikey Ace

Hi all I was extremely interested in the Avalon 737SP because its been reccomended by everyone as one of the best pre-amps.
I saw "in a catalog" that ISA-220 is also very good and more expensive. In the music catalog the Avalon 737SP is $1995 and the ISA-220 is $2,249.

I just checked the Sam Ash website, and they have the Avalon 737SP for $1999 and the ISA-220 for $1500.

That is crazy how Sam Ash is cheaper by over $700.

(Just a note: I never heard the Avalon 737SP in person, nor the ISA-220, and can't afford both to take in my studio to try out, I need good advice)

I am looking for a pre-amp for mainly vocals, and I am looking for the best pre-amp around that price. I am using a Rode NTK microphone, so I want the pre-amp that will best suite it.

What is a better pre-amp/channel strip the Avalon 737SP or the ISA-220?

Is the ISA-220 a steal for that price, or is the Avalon worth the money and is better?

Also there's an A/D converter that is optional on the ISA-220. How does it compare with a Apogee Rosseta converter?

How would a Avalon 737SP sound with an Art DIO converter compared to a Apogee Rosseta converter?

I am using a VS-2400CD, and I do not have any have any word clock inputs, only co-axial and optical inputs.

I will be using the Pre-amp mainly for vocals, and maybe some direct guitars and basses and solo keys. (no drums because and I use discrete drums.)

Also, I was interested in the Apogee Mini-me that cost around $1,100 without the USB function.
The Mini-me has 2 pre-amps similiar to the Track 2, and has Superior A/D conversion.
How does the Mini-me compare to the ISA-220 and the Avalon 737SP?

What are my best options, in that range with those 3 preamps?

Your opinions would be well appreciated?

Thanks in advance, Mikey Ace

I often use a Rode NTK into a Focusrite Trakmaster channel strip with the A/D card fitted. No problems at all. Clean and detailed and transparent and zero noise. VOcals or acoustic instruments (sax / guitar / trumpet ).

If I had the money I'd look at the Avalon 737, because they sound wonderful. But you should consider what the entire signal chain is. You'd need pretty good A/D converters downstream from the Avalon to do the Avalon justice in the digital recording area.

The Focusrite unit has an optional A/D card, so if you intend running digital signal output downstream from your pre-amp, then this is potentially better equipped for your purposes.

http://www.avalondesign.com
http://www.focusrite.com

Yo Mikey you get around don't ya? Gaws here from the VSPlanet. I love my ISA-220 but if I had it to do over I'd prolly go with the Avalon. The ISA 220 is Mono, I can't for the life of me figger out why they didn't make a stereo output on there. The Avalon has stereo out's don't they? Both units would be nice to have. Have you considered a Grace?

Terry

Back