fixing/cleaning crackling/non-working faders in mixer ?

Vadim

I have a mixer Mackie 1604 VLZ-pro, the MAIN MIX fader has only one "R" chanel going thru. and Sub fader "3" sometimes works, sometimes doesn't...

anyone know best way to clean them or something, or just replace them?

it might not even be the faders,
I also noticed that connectors/sockets are a little rusty,
and when I connected/disconnected a cable to main Insert, the MainMix started working,
than the Right channel got lost, than i moved the fader all the way up and down and it started working for a while.

also i have EQ connected to MainInsert, and when the right channels drops out, the EQ seems to be not effected, still both channels getting signal...

maybe it's circuitry after the faders?

You can get deoxit and contact cleaner at radio shack. The spray can with the nozzle is cheaper. Blast the little hole on the pot(on the inside) or down in the slider hole, and twist or slide a few times. Works great! Blast the conectors too, then insert plug and remove several times. Lube that #$%# up! It's also possible a jumper cable is loose. I got a free amp that way! It was intermittent, and it was just a loose cable!

Vadim said:
I have a mixer Mackie 1604 VLZ-pro, the MAIN MIX fader has only one "R" chanel going thru. and Sub fader "3" sometimes works, sometimes doesn't...

anyone know best way to clean them or something, or just replace them?

De-oxit in the can. Get it.

MCI2424 said:
De-oxit in the can. Get it.

There are many different flavors of De-Oxit, so be warned. I opted for the Gold, it was only about $6 more than the others and it seems to be the most "all purpose" of the bunch...

I went to radioshack, the closest thing they had was: "Control/Contact Cleaner & Lubricant" on bottle it says: For electro-mechanical devices-especialy drum-type TV tuners. Reduces wear. Safe on most plastics.

is this ok to spray inside the 1/4 sockets in the mixer?

Vadim said:
I went to radioshack, the closest thing they had was: "Control/Contact Cleaner & Lubricant" on bottle it says: For electro-mechanical devices-especialy drum-type TV tuners. Reduces wear. Safe on most plastics.

is this ok to spray inside the 1/4 sockets in the mixer?
It is... It's the exact same thing... only different ;)

It's fine really... contact cleaner is contact cleaner... some are just better than others... you won't do any damage

I will suggest that you unplug the unit before you do... be conservative with your spraying, and then work a plug in and out of the socket...

Right .... but Craig Deoxit is the best by a pretty large margin. RatShack definitely has it .... I bought a combo pak with one can of deoxit and one of deoxit gold from them just the other day. The regular deoxit is best for cleaning ..... the gold is more for protecting it after cleaning.

Back