Firepod - "safely remove hardware" question

msmales555

I just installed my firepod and i noticed that a little icon pops up near the clock on my cpu. The icon is the "safely remove hardware" icon. Do i need to go through this process everytime i shut the power off on my firepod or just when i actually unplug it from my cpu? The icon goes away when i turn the power off on the firepod and it caused me to question what i was doing. If it's ok to turn the power off without going through this process first and the icon disappears, how would you ever safely remove a powered down firepod? That is what has caused me to believe that i need to do this everytime i turn it off. . . . .please help, I couldn't find anything about this in the user manual.

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry about it. It's for when you want to disconnect your interface and remove the drivers/software that run it.

Supercreep said:
Don't worry about it. It's for when you want to disconnect your interface and remove the drivers/software that run it.

Remove in what sense? Certainly you don';t mean uninstall?

It's actually there to use whenever you want to unplug the unit, which would include turning off it's power. I would disconnect the unit without clicking that. It will usually work OK, but is not guaranteed safe.

Also, it does NOT uninstall the drivers, just in case Supercreep's reply would be misconstrued.

The long answer is: Your actually supposed to click the "Safely Remove Hardware" Icon in the system tray before you disconnect USB devices. (Hover the mouse over the icons to find the right one... its a card with a green arrow above it). It gives you a list of devices. Pick the one you want to power down... then shut it off...

The short answer: Ignore it... never had a problem with just pulling the plug

I have a Firebox and at first I was using the remove hardware function but after a while I got tired of it so I tried just unplugging it and it was fine. I can plug it in and unplug it a will with no problems.
The instructions for my MP3 player warn against unplugging it with out going through the remove hardware function as it will damage the hard drive in the MP3 player.

I don't know about the firepod but, someone mentioned external drive. Twice in the past I removed a memory stick without doing the safely remove hardware thing and later could not access the data. I went back to look at the data on the memory stick and couldn't find a single file. When I checked the drive space, the memory size was still the same but the pc could not see any useable data. I would say 9 times out of ten, I've done this without any problems but every once in awhile....was using window XP Pro btw.

You are supposed to do that so that Windows will uninitialize it from any current activities. In the case of the firepod it should not be any big deal. For any hardware that reads/writes it could certainly create problems.

Back