European Power Plug Adapter?

Booda

Master of the Obvious
I'm thinking of buying a Compressor and this particular unit has a European Power Plug on it. The guy says I can purchase an adaptor for it to work with standard outlets as we know them in the US.

Does anyone know if this is true and will it function fine?

I thought their Voltage is quite higher than our 110 and units can handle one or the other but not both w/ a simple adapter?

Thanks,
B.

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 35
It depends on the actual compressor... you have to find out if it's got switchable input voltage... you're right the plug's just a plug.

unless the units says on the back (or on an external transformer) that it can handle 110 v you will need a step down transformer. If you can find the make and model number you should be able to find the units spec list on line (like in the back of the pdf manuel).

Occasionally a bit of kit will have different releases for different markets with different wall voltages. If this is the case, and this is probably the safest way to go, get the person selling it to take a photo of the back of the unit, specifically the label that will have its power requirements (as well as the power draw and maybe serial number) written on it. If it says like 110V-250V you are good to go. If it doesn't mention 110V you are SOL !

Lots of transformers on the web and e-bay. I ended up buying one after I got a stand alone European Beyer phantom power unit. Works like a charm.

It may have a standard power cord that just has a European end. If so, you can replace the cord with a standard U.S. power cord.

If not, depending on which of the three or four European connectors is involved (pin diameter variations), some of the standard U.S. adapters use that configuration for the output of their transformer brick, and at least one of the non-U.S. 220V standards happens to be the same as a U.S. power connector, which means the adapter for that standard can be used as a reverse adapter for European devices in the U.S. I think.

Back