Entry level Hardware Reverb vs. Waves Reverb

dmc777

Hi guys I was just wondering what your opinion were on entry levels Hardware reverbs running around 200 such as the Lexicon Mpx200 compared to Plugins such as Waves TrueVerb and RVerb. I thought about paying around 400 for the Kurzweil Rumour or Lexicon MPX1 but really don't have to funds. I'm trying to debate whether these lower end units are alot better than the plugs. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks alot!

My suggestion would be to google SIR reverb. It's a free download Impulse Reverb and there are buttloads of impulse samples out there. Can't remember exactly where to get them, something about a vault, but it sounds great and it's pretty easy to use. It would work for you, especially if you ain't got no $$$. No sense in spending a little bit of money on a piece of gear that won't do you any good anyway.

My suggestion would be to google SIR reverb. It's a free download Impulse Reverb and there are buttloads of impulse samples out there. Can't remember exactly where to get them, something about a vault, but it sounds great and it's pretty easy to use. It would work for you, especially if you ain't got no $$$. No sense in spending a little bit of money on a piece of gear that won't do you any good anyway.

Thanks for the help but I believe the free one your talking about is for pc only and I'm running a mac. I check it out again though. Any other help? I'm sure others would like to know users experience.

i guess a couple of things to consider, aside from price, is that using a software reverb won't take up any I/O during mixdown...and on top of that, you can run as many channels of the software as your computer will let you, whereas the hardware units restrict you to one

I tend to use hardward reverb for monitoring and tracking just to keep the latency down. They sound good but I like the reverbs included with sonar producer 7 for mixes.
I use a lexicon mx200 most of the time and tryed one of those highly acclaimed Behringer reverbs it sounded decent for the first couple minutes. No kidding I had just hooked it up for the first time it powered up and ran for a couple minutes I went to answer the door and when I came back it was dead. That will be my last attempt using any more of their garbage.

I tend to use hardward reverb for monitoring and tracking just to keep the latency down. They sound good but I like the reverbs included with sonar producer 7 for mixes.
I use a lexicon mx200 most of the time and tryed one of those highly acclaimed Behringer reverbs it sounded decent for the first couple minutes. No kidding I had just hooked it up for the first time it powered up and ran for a couple minutes I went to answer the door and when I came back it was dead. That will be my last attempt using any more of their garbage.

What are your thoughts on the Mx200 Randy? Have you tried it compared to the waves verbs?

When I really need reverb outside my studio pc (almost never) I use my Behringer's built in FX unit. Apart from that, Up the Waves!

What are your thoughts on the Mx200 Randy? Have you tried it compared to the waves verbs?

The Lexicon had some major noise problems due to the poor shield on the wall wart I later found out. I first added some shielding which help out a lot.
Later I started using a power supply that came with one of VTB1's, that made it act like a complete different processor noise wise.

As I said I just use if for hardware monitoring it has some nice options if your using the right OS to use as an actual hardware plug in but I can't use it with XP64 or Vista "don't use Vista anymore"

The plugins I do use are the native ones that come with Sonar 7 Producer. Im not sure of the names but a couple I can recall are the Sonitus, Cakewake, and lexicon verb, I'm at work so I can't tell you want the actual name is at the moment.

If your will to take a little more time you can probably dial the MX200 to what ever you need. I use on guitar amps and it actually a very nice unit for $200.
But you may need to replace the wall work or do some extensive tin foil shielding on the one that comes with it.

Have you downloaded the manual for it from their website. I'm not sure if your aware that it can be used as a hardware plugin that is actually can be controlled with software or are you? Any way the manual will explain it better than I could.

Hope that helps

The Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb is a very simple reverb pedal for $99. It needs an adapter, and the one that comes with it often makes a humming sound...don't know why. In any case, I just replaced the adapter with another one, and it stopped. It's spring reverb emulation is really nice and warm, has a lo-fidelity sound, without the aliasing. It's hall reverb is passable if used in tiny increments. The Flerb is just stupid, but for a great spring reverb without buying an actual spring reverb, it's very nice.

If that's not enough for you, the Holier Grail and Holiest Grail have more options, and the cost rises. I enjoy the Holy Grail. It's nice. I've never been disappointed by it's spring reverb setting.

i guess a couple of things to consider, aside from price, is that using a software reverb won't take up any I/O during mixdown...and on top of that, you can run as many channels of the software as your computer will let you, whereas the hardware units restrict you to one

best argument against the hardware boxes. there are alot of free reverb plug-ins (I imagine there are even alot for mac, no?) there has got to be at least one that compares favorably to a $200 hardware box.

Also, I recently had the chance to play around with Waves RVerb, and I was able to coax some nice sounds out of it, especially for rock drums, which is something I have struggled with for awhile using plugs like Glaceverb, SIR, etc...

I haven't used the mpx200, but from the looks of it:

Pros:
It looks like it has digital ins and outs. If you have SPDIF I/O on your audio interface then you can use it while mixing in the box.

Cons: Not much control of effect parameters when compared to Rverb.

I have used Rverb extensively though I don't anymore.

Pros: Extremely tweakable, good sound, works with just about every host system, cheap for the list of features it offers.

Cons: Its Waves- their licensing and update programs irritate the crap out of me. I don't like paying for the same software over and over as my hardware shifts. Requires an iLok key to run. Don't lose it- they won't replace your license.

At your price range my bet would be on Rverb for better results, though I might pick the lexicon anyway if I had an audio interface with SPDIF io.

Back