effects loop mixer problem?....HELP!

kensington

hi folks, Not sure I have a problem or not. I have an Allen Heath Mixwizard mixer. When I run an effects loop (using stereo inputs and AUX sends on mixer) I get high, and low-pitched humming and whistling feedback when I raise the effect gain with the mixer fader....or gain knob on effects box.
This seems to be a simple question of too much gain input. There's a sens/input switch on the mixer....either +4bu or -10, for line matching. But, it still seems to overload too soon. Some of the effect patches don't even get up to near enuff gain before they're whistling and making my speakers pump and flap with overloaded signal. Other patches work o.k. I don't get it.
I've tried an old Art reverb (which really whistles) and a TC MoneXL thru the mixer and even on the +4bu setting a lot of the effects don't get to "full blossom" before clipping. It does this when I route them on any of the stereo channels. Could it be a grounding problem? Or is this normal and I just have to "milk' the effects more carefully? Doesn't seem right. I hope something in my mixer isn't screwed. It's a A&H 20:8:2 Mixwizard dedicated 8track mixer if any one has one.....am I missing something simple like a button press? ugh!
any help much appreciated, thanks, kenton

Back