Does anyone make Plate Reverb?

Absolutepower

Are there any companies around that still make plate reverb? I've tried searching but I couldn't find anything. Why would they phase out something that sounds good?
Also, I should clarify I'm talking about a REAL plate reverb, with an actual plate, not a simulation or a software.

Last edited:
try googling "how to make a plate reverb".

There are many web pages on how to do this. Its worth looking at.

I also like the sound of a plate reverb, but I don't have a real one, I just use the digital approximation on my Nova Reverb pedal.

I wouldn't want to lug around a 500 lb Plate Reverb when I can get a digital synthesis that weighs a couple of pounds (rack) or a few electrons (plugin).
Go to a studio that has an old one kicking around.

try googling "how to make a plate reverb".

There are many web pages on how to do this. Its worth looking at.

I also like the sound of a plate reverb, but I don't have a real one, I just use the digital approximation on my Nova Reverb pedal.

Yeah I've seen those, but then I listened to a sound sample and it was the worst thing ever. I'll look into it some more though.

I wouldn't want to lug around a 500 lb Plate Reverb when I can get a digital synthesis that weighs a couple of pounds (rack) or a few electrons (plugin).
Go to a studio that has an old one kicking around.

You make a good point, that can be a big factor even if you want to keep it just in one place, if it really is that heavy that's an ordeal. But no plugin or digital synthesis can be as good as the real thing. I think I could find a studio here in NYC that has an old one, but remember, this is the home-recording forum.

Looking at how the plate reverb is made, it seems that you need at least one spare empty~ish room and quite a bit of calculation depending on what you rquire. It would be a great thing to pull off though.
The irony is that despite what's been said about plugs/emulation, the implication being that they are artificial, plate reverb is too, for the most part as they have to be specially constructed. Not many of our living spaces contain a big metal plate in a soundproofed room !
That said, a tiled toilet, bathroom or porch can yield wonderful, subtle reverb in recordings.
Hope you manage to find one. Keep us posted.

one of the guys on this and other boards made one recently .... in the last year or so. His sounded really good ....... his name was rocdoc maybe. If I can find the thread I'll post a link later.

If you look at the specs on this one, it's 8 foot by 4 foot and weighs 600 pounds. That is what a plate reverb is, that is why you don't find a lot of them in home recording situations. That's also why you don't find a lot of them in professional recording situations.

If you actually get a plugin that has actually modeled a plate, you will be better off than just a normal digital reverb with a "plate" preset.

Back