Distortion pedals

I've never had a problem with my Little Big Muff Pi by Electro-Harmonix. I play experimental synthsizers through it. It is a fuzz more than a distortion. So, less pure square wave, and more chaotic, but it's a nice pedal and it is very versatile. I can get many tones/timbres from it.

Sounds great on guitar and bass too!
I loved my big muff in high school... I could torture a solo, totally drunk off my ass... and no-one could even tell

Wow those build you own kits are so cool.

Wish I would have known about that 3 years ago - I built my own off a plan with $50 worth a parts - but it went up in toxic black smoke, and then of couse you have no idea which parts you can save, and which are toast.

Has anyone here built there own ?

Yeah I've owned both the New York and the Russian.

Both great.

When my son was 2 - he pulled the russian apart knob by knob, so it died, and I bought the New York - but last week ordered the Russian re-issue for my brother.

I'd like to try the double muff - but can't see how that wouldn't just be a muddy mess.

I'll third, forth and fifth the Big Muff, but I've heard great things about the Radial Tonebone Classic.

Ah. Not to over-elaborate, but I suspect running a pedal into a modeler won't do much for you. I'd worry about the amp first, and then play around with pedals until you find a combo you like. The old Rats are cool, as are the TS types, the Muff is it's own thing, then you can go to the boutiquey stuff, millions of options.

Especially since the XT does have a Tube Screamer emulator that can be used as a boost in front of all the models. ;)

Honestly, if you're looking to put a live rig together, I'd pass on a distortion pedal for the time being and focus on getting an amp whose distortion sound you like. A good enough amp, and you won't NEED a distortion. I stopped using my Metal Zone when I bought my first Mesa (a Rocket-44, relatively affordable) and I only bought my first overdrive recently, a Bodenhamer Electronics Chaos-modded TS9, to do the Andy Sneap thing and juice the front end a little. And, half the time, I don't even bother to hook it up, the amp sounds way better for lead without it.

A good two-channel amp and a footswitch will give you way more mileage on a budget than a distortion pedal and an amp.

. . . Is there a good all round one?

They all sound so different, I wouldn't buy one without hearing it first. After years of looking for a distortion pedal and being disappointed with what I heard, a friend brought over his ProCo Rat and after a minute I knew I had to get one. I ordered one through the mail shortly thereafter and it's been one of those rare purchases that I have never regretted. I've never so much as looked at another distortion pedal since getting the Rat. It might not be your cup of tea, but it should definitely be on your list of things to check out.

I'm going to go with the Keeley Modded DS-1. Love that freakin' thing! I've got the AD9 Mod too and I can't say enough good things about it!

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=10

I am not sure on my model numbers but I have the Keeley Modded Boss Distortion pedal... the old orange one that just says Distortion on it. My mod is called Seeing Eye. It has a light on it that illuminates only when the distortion circuit kicks in. It is great if you like rolling your volume down at the guitar for a cleaner sound then rolling it up to get it to break up. It also works well wide open if you just want an in your face distortion.

I have the Keeley modded Tube Screamer too which is absolutely incredible. Just a wicked thick smooth sound. Full of harmonics and lush distortion.

I think either one would fit the bill for the sounds you are trying to get. I think I would lean towards the Tubescreamer.

I can virtually guarantee that you will never buy another distortion pedal once you have tried a Keeley.

(I understand the the Analogman pedals are in the same ballpark being very highly regarded.)

Especially since the XT does have a Tube Screamer emulator that can be used as a boost in front of all the models. ;)

Honestly, if you're looking to put a live rig together, I'd pass on a distortion pedal for the time being and focus on getting an amp whose distortion sound you like. A good enough amp, and you won't NEED a distortion. I stopped using my Metal Zone when I bought my first Mesa (a Rocket-44, relatively affordable) and I only bought my first overdrive recently, a Bodenhamer Electronics Chaos-modded TS9, to do the Andy Sneap thing and juice the front end a little. And, half the time, I don't even bother to hook it up, the amp sounds way better for lead without it.

A good two-channel amp and a footswitch will give you way more mileage on a budget than a distortion pedal and an amp.

I have not heard the Rocket-44 but the distortion on the Dual Rectifier I have been using for the past 3 years is not perfect for all applications. I actually like having the TubeScreamer on most of the time with the guitar volume rolled down. Roll it up for saturation, turn it off and kick on the amp distortion for a solo sound. Something like that.

Obviously these are tough discussions as everyone's taste and gear is different. I am guessing your TS9 is great sounding. I like your juicing the front end thing!

its an xmas pressie...no chance to a/b em.......so whats a cool distortion stomp box classic as far removed from digital as possible.....big muff!...nuff said!.

I'm going to go with the Keeley Modded DS-1. Love that freakin' thing! I've got the AD9 Mod too and I can't say enough good things about it!

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=10

+1, its a nice all around pedal. Even the stock DS-1 is a good (cheap) pedal.

For pricier, I'd go with an Emma Reezafratzitz. I've gone through piles of pedals for distortion and this is my goto pedal for Foo Fighters-ish crunch. (as a backup, I usually use my tube amp distortion.)

For Fuzz (Pumpkins etc) definately a Big Muff or clone. Me, I run a Skreddy Mayo (Muff clone) for rhythm fuzz, and a ZVex Fuzz Factory for leads. (listen to the solo at the end of RHCP's Dani California)

Back