Digi 003 With UA 710 Twin-Finity OR Mbox 2 Pro with With UA 710 Twin-Finity

samcharles

Hi

I am a newbie looking for an answer to the following question.

1.Which one will be good to go with the superb/ excellent sound quality?
Digi 003 With Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity OR
Mbox 2 Pro with With UA 710 Twin-Finity

I already own a Mbox 2 Pro and looking for Digi 003 to upgrade. Mostly i would be recording one input per time, at the maximim only 2 inputs.
I have heard people saying that Mbox 2 pro does not has a good preamp so people suggested 710 twinfinity.

2. Is there any performance/sound quality difference between Mbox 2 Pro and Digi 003?

3. I am looking to buy Digi 003? Is there any reason do i need to upgrade from Mbox 2 Pro to Digi 003 speaking in terms of quality. By any means i would be using the 710 twinfinity.

Some people claim that 003 comes with the "Black Lion Audio" which is a good sound quality. If i need to hook up the 710 preamp with my Mbox 2 pro will i attain a better sound quality. Or else i should go with the 003 and then connect with 710 Preamp?
Can you please help me?

If you have the mbox already, and you're getting an external pre, and you don't need more than 1-2 inputs, I'd stick with what you have and not get the 003. sounds like you won't even be using the mbox pres anyway. When you plug in the 1/4 outputs from your new preamp to the 1/4" inputs on the mbox, you'll be bypassing the pres on the mbox. So the 003 won't do anything for you.

So if you're getting the 710, you don't need the 003...make sense?

Are you using PT9 or above, or PT8 or below? If you're using 9 or better and want another interface, there are better for cheaper than the 003.

If you have the mbox already, and you're getting an external pre, and you don't need more than 1-2 inputs, I'd stick with what you have and not get the 003. sounds like you won't even be using the mbox pres anyway. When you plug in the 1/4 outputs from your new preamp to the 1/4" inputs on the mbox, you'll be bypassing the pres on the mbox. So the 003 won't do anything for you.

So if you're getting the 710, you don't need the 003...make sense?

Are you using PT9 or above, or PT8 or below? If you're using 9 or better and want another interface, there are better for cheaper than the 003.

I can use PT 9 or above, am i am using mac.
Some other people suggested me as below:

1. I decided to buy Apogee duet 2 since i will be using only a max of 2 inputs per time. will this be a good descision?
2. I am using the AKG C414 XL II mic for recording all the instruments(sax, flute, trumpet, violin etc) and vocals(male and female). I think its a very good mic. Your thoughts?
3. If i get a Apogee Duet2 do i need to get a seperate preamp like 710 twin-finity? Or the Duet2 preamp and the converter will be good?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know much about the apogee duet 2, I don't think it has any preamps, so you'd have to get something like the 710 you talked about.

But, since you're using PT9, you can use any interface you want. I'd recommend the maudio fastrack pro. It's $150-200, has two built in pres so you won't need anything else, and it's expandable up to 4 i believe so if you do get a couple other preamps you'll have 4 inputs. The apogee is cool, but it's kinda expensive, and I think for your needs this will be fine. I have used the fastrack pro and have no complaints. You can just plug in the fastrack, plug in the mic and be ready to go!

I don't know a bit about the akg c414, seems pretty awesome, and I'd love to try it out...I'm pretty sure it'll be great for you.

Back