Deeper Vocals

electricabanana

Hello all,

I am looking for a cheap way to shift the pitch of vocals down 2 or 3 octaves without losing too much sound quality. I need an effect that will also work live. I demo'd an guitar octave pedal today with a mic plugged in (a BOSS 0C-3) and it was the right idea but really muddy sounding. any thoughts?

nothing over $200 is even remotely possible.

thanks

I used to use a Yamaha SPX90 to do that on stage in the 80's and it worked perfectly. The original one is 12-bit which is not good enough, but that can be upgraded to 16-bit with a chip and the SPX90II is 16-bit already.

Much of the Yamaha rack mount effects units from way back did great pitch shifting and that stuff shows up cheap.

You might need to preamp the mic going in (probably) or take it off of send from the pa.

I used to use a Yamaha SPX90 to do that on stage in the 80's and it worked perfectly. The original one is 12-bit which is not good enough, but that can be upgraded to 16-bit with a chip and the SPX90II is 16-bit already.

Sorry but that is incorrect. The SPX90 and the SPX90II are both 16 bit from the factory. The upgrade chip only adds more delay time.

Sorry but that is incorrect. The SPX90 and the SPX90II are both 16 bit from the factory. The upgrade chip only adds more delay time.

You know I was going by memory and just checked the original manual.

You're right, it was 16-bit right from the start. But it says that the bandwidth is 20 Hz to 12 KHz.

I believe that, in addition to the longer delays, that the upgrade chip made the bandwidth 20 Hz to 20 KHz. In essence, I think the chip made it have the specs of the SPX90II.

I recall when I got the upgrade chip that there was a dramatic difference in every program in the high end - and that would explain that. It definitely was a different machine after the upgrade, not just delay increases. I especially noticed it in the pitch shift programs, because before with the 12 KHz limit pitch shifted vocals were so dull you couldn't use them, that's where my memory of the number "12" came into this!

It was my first effect unit, I bought it new in 1984 for $600, which was a good deal at the time, from a friend who was a Yamaha dealer.

I believe that, in addition to the longer delays, that the upgrade chip made the bandwidth 20 Hz to 20 KHz. In essence, I think the chip made it have the specs of the SPX90II.

The SPX90II also has a bandwidth of 20HZ to 12KHZ same as the SPX90. The upgrade chip [eeprom] only controls the effects algorithms not the AD/DA conversions.

Back