A decent/cheap multi-effects processor?

nay

Just looking for suggestions on a multi-effects processor for vocals/instrument that can do multiple simultaneous effects but for a decent price (if one exist).

The Alesis Quadraverb may fill the bill. You can probably get one used for around $200 or a bit less. 4 effects at once. Reverbs aren't really all that great, but they are okay if you mess with them. The other effects are pretty good though. Lot's of routing options too.

Ed

Well, I have a Quadraverb, but remember it has no distortions on it. The tremolo is choppy at best, and the leslie emulators are decent at best. The stereo panning and stuff is nice. I got a used one for 100$ at Harmony-Central.com, but you might want to look into something a little nicer if you plan to use a lot of stuff. Digitech studio line is pretty decent for the price.

MIKE

I got a clean used Alesis MicroVerb 4 for $100 recently. Has dozens of reverbs, plus combinations with chorus, flanging, pitch shifting etc. Everything but distortion modeling.

Nice unit, esp. for the price. Go look at Harmony-Central.com classifieds.

I'm thinking there's a lot of fun to be had with Line 6 Gear. Once I get a decent mic, I'm going to try to pump vocals thru the tube preamp sim. and see if it sounds decent. I like using the reverbs to get that old "Bruce Springsteen-Nebraska" sound. (another great album recorded on a 4 track.)

Sorry mastahnke, but there is not one Digitech product I would recommend over an Alesis product. Digitech stuff has a really weird sound to it. Also, they have a long way to go with the interfaces. They are so hard to get around.

You could probably find a nice Lexicon LXP-1 or 5 if you look hard. These are great sounding units that only suffer from not having balanced I/O's.

Ed

Nay, define decent price.

Less that $100? - ZOOM 505 (9 effects
at once, noisy, mostly
for guitars)

less than $200 - QUADVERB, MICROVERB
(quiet-good for recording
4/2 effects at once, good
sound)

less than $300 - line 6 pod (mostly for
guitars, good sound, quiet

and it goes up....

TonyA,
I was thinking I dunno bout $250 and less range. From what others have said I'll probably go with the quadraverb. I've found a few on Ebay at a decent price.

I own a Digitech Quadraverb V2. Not that great. Expect, if you know what you're doing and what you're looking for, you can customize some really nice stuff.

I've came-up with a really nice live wood room program which is hard to beat. I love it so much, it's hard not to put it on every drum track in every song, on every recording.

But I've been working with this unit for about 4-5 years now and just recently came up with the program about a year ago.

Check out the Lexicon MPX100
It has some great proffesional verbs. And multieffects. Processing should be another unit. Don't use these reverb/comp dist units all in one. Nothing does everything well.
The MpX unit has digital out too if you are going to digital all.

I can buy two LXP 1's for the price of a MPX 100 and have a much better processor. The MPX 100 is a toy for DJ's.... :)

I do agree though that seldom do the cheaper units do very many things good. A mute point really in this price range. So versatility and a somewhat good quality is what is needed.

I think effects are overrated anyway....people hide behind them often....so do engineers that can't get a good sound...

Ed

Hey! sonusman! knock that off. FX are the way to go (only if your like me!) --I compose industrial music and can use all the FX I want and things only get better!-- as for the rest of you that only do "REAL" music :) Ha! I get to have all the fun!! (however I do take time to record REAL musicians too)--I HAVE TO EAT ALRIGHT!! :)

Hey! If any of you REAL MUSIC recording people want to try a totally strange reverb effect, try splitting a signal up into 3 or more signals and add a different reverb effect to each one then pan them all over the place and hear what happens. Sounds prety cool on synth lines!

Back