Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DBX 286s HISS issue and found a fix?! Should I warranty it?

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    If, as you say Mark the DBX unit needs a certain level of gain to reach its optimum operating level that puts the OP in a bit of a bind. Compressors and other dynamic devices need to run at a certain level otherwise there is little or no effect.

You found that optimum level too hot for the Berry mixer and if that is the OP's problem he needs an in line attenuator and of around 10dB I would guess. Two problems, the attenuators need to be at line impedance, around 10k/10k balanced and fitted at the mixer end. Such widgets are very hard to find, almost everything is "600 Ohms"!

Secondly they need to be TRS jack and these are even rarer. XLR we are arse deep in. RCA even is readily available but jacks? Not a hope AFAICS.

The solution is pretty simple. Make some. Can't solder? Bloody learn! You will not progress far in this audio game relying on "off the shelf solutions" unless you are VERY rich.

Dave.

---------- Update ----------

If, as you say Mark the DBX unit needs a certain level of gain to reach its optimum operating level that puts the OP in a bit of a bind. Compressors and other dynamic devices need to run at a certain level otherwise there is little or no effect.

You found that optimum level too hot for the Berry mixer and if that is the OP's problem he needs an in line attenuator and of around 10dB I would guess. Two problems, the attenuators need to be at line impedance, around 10k/10k balanced and fitted at the mixer end. Such widgets are very hard to find, almost everything is "600 Ohms"!

Secondly they need to be TRS jack and these are even rarer. XLR we are arse deep in. RCA even is readily available but jacks? Not a hope AFAICS.

The solution is pretty simple. Make some. Can't solder? Bloody learn! You will not progress far in this audio game relying on "off the shelf solutions" unless you are VERY rich.

Dave.

Thanks
    I mentioned that dbx is connected to the mixer channel #1 with a TRS-TRS cable.
    The DBX is used as a mic preamp.
    DBX Output -> Mixer Line IN
    The HISS is present even if i UNPLUG the mic from the DBX. So the mic is excluded.
    The hiss is not affected by the DBX processing. If i press process bypass or turn down all knobs the hiss is still present.

As i said, if i set the DBX out to -26dB, the signal from the dbx is hissing. If i set the dbx to 0 and on mixer i Pad the signal with 26dB it is crystal clear.

Do you experience the same thing?
    Also on Focusrite 2i2 - dbx output set to -26dB, the signal is clear.

Tested on 2 mixer, i think the problem is the line level equipment compatibility.

Thread Information