Dbx 166XL..What are good settings for live sound PA protection?

Danoforest

Just got into compression for live sound. How about some advice how to set up the Dbx 166XL across the board to protect my mains.
Setup: 16 Channel stereo board..1500 watt amp..matching JBL speakers (2).
Currently sound cuts in/out when compressor is on. Is this due to Gate setting?
What are good general settings for each parameter?

Thanks

For system protection you would want a stonewall limiter more than anything else but, if your the only one running your system with never a guest engineer to push it really hard and beyond the point of safe you should all ready be aware of how much is to much gas.

The 166XL wouldn't be my choice for speaker protection, and if your amp is matched to the speakers then you could probably do without a limiter on the mains or use the ones in the amp. Besides, a limiter won't have much protective effect against longer term over powering.

If you provided specific info on the mixer, amp and speakers someone could probably tell you the best setup.

Thanks for the heads up re: limiter/speaker protection.
What would be a basic setup for each channel specific to overall system compression for a live band (ex: drums, vocals, bass and electric guitar).
Should I only use the DBX on vocals or drums? Mixer mains drive Carvin 1500 watt amp and 4 JBL speakers.
DBX 166XL manual is a bit difficult to digest in plain terms.
Thanks

I never use a compressor or limiter across the mains on any of my systems. I instead use compressors that are inserted into each channel that would warrant a compressor. This is really the way to go!

You could have a compressor on your main mix, but mostly for artistic effect rather than speaker protection.

I prefer to compress channels, which is why I spent what I had to to get 16 channels of compression of my 16 channel board. It always seemed that if I had 2 channels of compression I needed 3 or 4 , and when I had 4 channels available I need 7.

With only two channels you'll have to prioritize. Just keep the insert cables from the compressor handy and pop one into the insert of whatever channel seems the most dynamically out of hand. Have them set to the highest threshold, 2:1 ratio, medium attack and release and no makeup gain. After inserting bring the threshold down until there's gain reduction on the meter. Now you have to use your ears and decide what parameter adjustments are needed.

Threshold is the dividing line between the louder parts that get compressed and the quieter parts which don't. Set it high enough to leave some quieter parts of the signal unaffected.

Ratio is how much the loud (above the threshold) parts are affected. Higher ratio means more less change in level.

Attack and release let compression happen slower or faster. Attack affects the response as the signal rises, letting more or less of the initial transients through. Release affect the response as the signal falls which can prevent unnatural sounding effects.

Makeup gain lets you add gain after making the louder parts less loud. For live sound I'd avoid this on anything with potential for feedback unless I could set it at sound check. Just leave it set to unity.

Be careful about applying compression to vocals if you're mixing their monitors. Singers can stress their voices when compressed in monitors, and it makes feedback more likely.

Back