dbx 163 vs 163x

dr.colossus

I was just wondering if anyone knew the differences between the 163 and 163x. I know the "X" has an out put gain knob and Hi-z input. the 163 was US made and the 163x Chinese and HongKong, but are there any significant sonic differences?

never used a 163 , but my 163x's kick ass !
cheap and amazing pumping sound, my favorites on kick and snare

i guess if you get either model you'll be satisfied....well, not if you're looking for something transparant..

well as of yesterday, I have both! I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, I've had the 163x for a while and love it. the 163 definantly looks much cooler.

yeah I went out to the studio last night to play with the suckers, but my adat started erroring out on me! I was kinda after some expereinces so I'd know what to expect. I hate threads like this, it really irks me when people ask for diffences b/w two peices of equipment they actually own and could just listen to to find an answer. But I was after some outside input, just to gather the general feeling.

i can compare the 163x with allmost the entire 166 series,
the 166,166a,166xl and definately the 266 sound REALLY thin compared to those old compressors, the more compression you use on the 166-series, the more "plastic" your sound becomes, less bottom end, less heavy,
and the more you push the 163x's in compression the harder the sound, the fatter, and thats what i'm after,
now i believe its kinda true, dbx made nice machines before 1980, the new stuff is less interesting i find...
i have my eyes on a 162, looks old and beaten up but the seller says it still works fine,
$575......this should be a steal but its the very last money i got..;don't know, anyone else wants this deal? i might not go for it since i'll be broke then...

Anybody have any spare rackmount hardware for the 163x's? I've got two of them, but have been unable to find the hardware to rack them. :(

Sorry, I can't even comment on the sound of the 163x's as I've not used them yet. :o

Rick

Back