Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50

Thread: DAW vs Physical Hardware

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,037
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 123 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    2383180
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have to disagree a bit here with miroslav..........something I don't think I've ever done. I find that the OTB rigs seem to mostly be people buying the 8 / 24 / 32 track complete stand alone systems (Tascams....Zooms....etc).........for more of the "need to turn knobs"......"need to not have creative distractions"......"need to be challenged by limitations" reasons. I don't think I've heard most of them say they have space so they want to make use of it now or down the road. The ITB people also don't seem to be mostly mentioning lack of space as their issue.

    That's not really to say that miro is wrong at all..........but if you follow the reasons that people buy the stand alone units........I think many of them are not looking to expand...etc.
    Just A Song Writer..........

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    18,740
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 874 Times in 763 Posts
    Rep Power
    21470743
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    I have to disagree a bit here with miroslav..........something I don't think I've ever done. I find that the OTB rigs seem to mostly be people buying the 8 / 24 / 32 track complete stand alone systems (Tascams....Zooms....etc).........for more of the "need to turn knobs"......"need to not have creative distractions"......"need to be challenged by limitations" reasons. I don't think I've heard most of them say they have space so they want to make use of it now or down the road. The ITB people also don't seem to be mostly mentioning lack of space as their issue.

    That's not really to say that miro is wrong at all..........but if you follow the reasons that people buy the stand alone units........I think many of them are not looking to expand...etc.

    Not really sure what part you are disagreeing with...?

    When you say most OTB rigs you've seen are about people buying standalone recorders like Zooms...I think you're looking at it from a very narrow, home recording perspective...which again, is limited by space and mostly by budget.
    I don't consider a standalone Zoom recorder to be any kind of real "OTB" setup. I'm referring to more serious racked gear, lots of analog gear, consoles, and even big tape decks, etc...and a decent room(s) to put it all in.
    If you look beyond the limited space/budget home rec world...you would see that more involved project studios and bigger private studios are often full of those OTB things. Not all, some people stick with their ITB rigs for the most part, but many still have pretty involved OTB gear too.

    The first thing always is the budget...and then formal studio space.
    The reality is that most home rec spaces are not well suited for anything to do with audio recording, but it is a tough nut to sell to the millions of guys who are sitting in front of their ITB rigs, convinced that they have a real studio going on.
    I'm not saying that as any putdown, because everyone that gets very involved with the studio thing, usually goes through those early, multiple phases of "making do" with what you have....and that's fine.
    I do however know that for many home rec folks...there is no real plan (mostly due to budget and space) to ever go beyond the "making do" ITB rig in the back corner of the spare bedroom...and that too is perfectly fine.
    It's just that when discussions turn to what it takes to make a serious studio...I just don't buy the notion that a computer in the back of the spare bedroom is going to fulfill that requirement on the same level as a more formal studio space with a good blend of OTB and ITB gear.

    Anyway...this is often a dead-end discussion for most in the home rec world, because no amount of talking and debating will ever change their budget and space limitations...so people stick with their views and it's easier to believe that you already have what you need.
    Again...I'm not looking to criticize folks or make anyone feel bad about where they are in their studio "quests"...and these are questions I've asked myself many times over the years. How much do I need to invest into it, and how far do I want to take it...?
    This something I am at this very moment kicking around in a big way (again) as I look at a very possible big studio move and upgrade.
    I can easily say...WTF do I need to do all this for, to spend all this money, to go through this hassle, and it still won't guarantee me anything AFA the music is concerned...but I do know that it will certainly not hurt, and it does make the whole journey more focused, more intentional, more planned and WAY more enjoyable...as opposed to something I just dabbled with, without any real investment or commitment, and nothing more. There are now thousands of guys doing just that...dabbling on their computers.

    So for me, it has been a long-term goal, and I've said it before...regardless of how creative I am in my studio, the one thing I always tried to do was to build a studio environment that was as close to pro-level as I could get it.
    IOW...the music is one thing, and that's something that is always going to be a very subjective goal, so just make your music as you like it and don't care too much about trying to please everyone. Music is what we do IN the studio....but for me, it's also been about the actual studio, and seeing how far I could create a very pro recording environment, which is a much more objective goal..and TBH, just folding my hands and looking at a computer screen with a bunch of software was never going to feel like a fulfillment of that goal.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:


  4. #33
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,037
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 123 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    2383180
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    I think you're looking at it from a very narrow, home recording perspective..
    Yes....that's a fair statement.
    Just A Song Writer..........

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I like to work with a decent analog front end to my DAW. I have two hardware channel strips, a couple of nice preamps, several decent compressors and an External FX processor. All this is goes through a patch bay into a rather modest 16 channel Mackie board with firewire connected to my DAW. This allows me to keep all my external keyboards connected up. I donít have monitor latency problems with any audio inputs. Unfortunately virtual instruments still have monitoring latency.

    I come from the school of getting your sound before recording it. Once the recording process is finished, so is my outboard gear. I then mix ITB with the usual plug-ins.

    Iím finished upgrading computers and DAWs and settled on a cheese grater 12 core Mac. Iím not going thunderbolt and am retired so I have no means to upgrade anything anyway. It has taken me my entire life to put together the set up I use now. I canít imagine just connecting a mic to an interface and do all processing ITB when mixing. Iím sure many people get good results working like this but itís not for me.

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ladewd View Post
    I like to work with a decent analog front end to my DAW. I have two hardware channel strips, a couple of nice preamps, several decent compressors and an External FX processor.
    This is the part I cant get away from. Going straight into an interface and then through an ITB Neve plugin, just doesn't seem like its the same as using the hardware version. I've always used nice Mic pre's like SSL, Joe Meek etc.

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    347
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pavlonis View Post
    This is the part I cant get away from. Going straight into an interface and then through an ITB Neve plugin, just doesn't seem like its the same as using the hardware version. I've always used nice Mic pre's like SSL, Joe Meek etc.

    you know you can use mike pres and then into a DAW via a line input ??

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    you know you can use mike pres and then into a DAW via a line input ??
    Sorry, Didn't I say that ?

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Age
    53
    Posts
    15,254
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 489 Times in 436 Posts
    Rep Power
    15179948
    If you are comparing cheap digital gear to eye-wateringly expensive analog gear, the digital will lose. If you compare high quality emulation plugins to there analog counterparts, it a much more even match.

    You can make great sounding recordings on either, it's more about how you want to work. (And budget)
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    347
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Farview View Post
    If you are comparing cheap digital gear to eye-wateringly expensive analog gear, the digital will lose. If you compare high quality emulation plugins to there analog counterparts, it a much more even match.

    You can make great sounding recordings on either, it's more about how you want to work. (And budget)
    in your opinion

    you have no logical way to prove with facts that digital wont clean the clock of all analog no matter what price you paid

    ---------- Update ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pavlonis View Post
    Sorry, Didn't I say that ?
    you have have said it but that is not what you posted in writing as i read it

  11. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post



    you have have said it but that is not what you posted in writing as i read it
    OK then, yes I'm aware I can run a mic pre into a convertor, since that is what I've always done. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What physical exercises?
    By BabyBottle in forum Vocal Technique & Processing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 07:12
  2. Physical limits of drummers?
    By WeeWoo in forum Drums and Percussion
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 11:22
  3. No physical mixer
    By ChristopherM in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2003, 23:40
  4. soundcards are physical
    By dobro in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 23:54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •