Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: daisy chain furman?

Thanks

daisy chain furman?

Sign in to disable this ad
    can you daisy chain a furman power conditioner? for say a 20 space rack?

Thanks
    I seem to remember reading that it's bad to plug one surge-protected strip into another one, but I don't remember why.
    Newest endeavor: Playing drums in a live band version of 7 Door Sedan's music.

"Do yourself a favour just shut up, read up then put up." --muttley600

Thanks
    you people talk all day about 2,000 dollar preamps and you dont know if you can plug one power conditioner into another???

Thanks
    It has only been a day... have a little patience.

Thanks
    Recording knowledge and gear lust do not always equal electronics know-how. Just remember, Google is your friend...

Q: Can I plug one surge protector into another to expand the number of outlets at my entertainment center?

A: Possibly, though since you can get power protection components with up to 12 AC outlets, "daisy chaining" power protection units together should not be necessary. We recommend selecting a model that will accommodate all of your components in any given location. When daisy chaining, it is possible to add too great of a current demand on the first power protection component in line, which could cause it to go into "protect" mode if the current draw exceeds what it is designed to carry. - Crutchfield

I'd say it's safe with maybe two units, but I'd feel safer without daisy chaining. Provided your wiring is decent, your result will quite possibly be better utilizing different outlets. It seems kinda oxymoronic to be worried about the way you're powering your equipment, using the Furmans, if you do in fact try something like the d-chain. In any case, I always like to have plenty of healthy three-prong extension cords and an outlet tester around, and avoid running the extention cords over any audio cables.

Thanks
    very true.

although who wants to use 2 outlets for one rack? the point of the furman is to keep the equipment from humming and getting fried. and to keep it running consistently. I guess my question is does daisy chaining them expose you to these issues. obviously it if negates the idea of using a furman than you dont do it! very funny! but I am going to buy a 20 space rack, which will house about 9-10 pieces of gear that use cables not counting the furman(s), and a few patch bays and some other stuff that dont use power but I already have a RP-8. and my mixer and monitors are going through my computer's UPS.

Thanks
    20 RU's worth of gear, and you're worried about two outlets?

if you're using a 20 space rack, and you've got 10 or 15 pieces of gear in there, hell yeah i'd use 2 outlets. At LEAST! Some higher end conditioners take power from two outlets, preferably on different circuits, to completely regulate the voltage load. I'd use two of those in a single rack with enough gear, if i needed to.

I'm using a Furman PL8 Series II conditioner. I trust it, but i'm not gonna try and overpower it... It's the same concept as running two surge surpressors (johnny bars) off of each other. If they're rated to a certain breaking point, then it's not just the draw off the first one that will blow it, its the draw off the combination of the first AND the second one that will blow number one. Ie -

Conditioner 1 - 15amp Rating
    (9 amps of gear, and a line to -

Conditioner 2 - 15amp Rating
    (6 amps of gear)

Conditioner 2 is only drawing 6 amps. But it's 6 amps are coming from something which already has 9 amps pulling on it. That will blow the first conditioner. If you do start running it all on one conditioner, you'll be at a much higher risk for a breaker blow at any point in time, but probably when you least want it (and anything may set it off, from powering something else up, to starting a tape deck motor).

Also, there's higher heat generation which comes from daisychaining (generally at the initial power source - i.e. the outlet that conditioner 1 is plugged into), and the possibility of it sparking off and starting a fire is greatly increased.

I wouldn't risk it. 20 u's worth of gear, i'd use 2 conditioners, unconditionally (no pun intended).

Thanks
    What are you gonna fill the rack with? 20u of computers and power amps draws a lot of current; 20u of preamps and compressors, not so much. You need to add up the power draw of all your units and add some cushion.

However, it's not impossible to run 20u with one circuit. I have 15u (not including the 2u regulator) that only draws about 3 amps.

If you need 12-15 amps, I'd run a 20 amp circuit and get a 20 amp conditioner, rather than run two circuits. More than that, you need two circuits. Don't confuse outlets with circuits; all the outlets in a single room are likely on the same circuit, in that case different outlets buys you nothing.

If you can get by with a single circuit, then instead of two conditioners, get one conditioner and one plane-jane power strip to get all the outlets you need.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mshilarious
    If you need 12-15 amps, I'd run a 20 amp circuit and get a 20 amp conditioner, rather than run two circuits. More than that, you need two circuits. Don't confuse outlets with circuits; all the outlets in a single room are likely on the same circuit, in that case different outlets buys you nothing.

If you can get by with a single circuit, then instead of two conditioners, get one conditioner and one plane-jane power strip to get all the outlets you need.
    i agree, it's a very good idea to figure out how many circuits are in the room (most likely one), and what it's breaking point is. If it's a 20a circuit, and you're also running desk lamps, computers, monitors, amplifiers, /and/ all this gear, you ought to be calculating for 20 amps total, not just whats in the rack. In that case, you can either replace the breaker in the panel (but that may also need a change of wiring, depending on how old your house is), or run an extension cord from another circuit.

However, i differ on opinion in one scenario. If you're fortunate enough to have a 35/40+ amp circuit in the room, or at least a circuit wide enough to give you some headroom with all your gear running, I'd still go with 2 power conditioners in the 20u rack, rather than daisy chain them, or run a johnny bar.

The conditioners also clean the power running to the gear, and a johnny bar (esp. a cheap one) in the line would dirty it up again. Not by much, and it's a little bit of semantics, I know, but in the long run, clean(er) power can arguably save power supplies and transformers from crapping out. Just as you want as few hops as possible in the signal path going from mic to deck, the same applies to the power. And if I'm gonna invest in $5k or howevermuch worth of gear (or enough to fill 20u anyway) another $150 or so in a power conditioner to get /all/ of it the cleanest power I can, is beyond a worthwhile investment in my mind.

Thanks
    you'd be surprised at the differences between a lower-priced furman conditioner and some of the power strips out there, a lot of time it's not much. there's a nice thread in here somewhere discussing the differences, namely large transformers that truly condition the power... ac filtering vs. actual conditioning. the $100-$200 range is most likely not going to be any more effective at saving a power supply than a computer surge protector that runs for $30-$50... i could be wrong, but thats the impression that i get. nothing wrong with buying the furman, but i wouldn't expect it to save your life under drastic power conditions (pun not intended).

most of the options suggested aren't going to blow breakers or make outlets hot, but not all electricians or their work are created equally. i'm fortunate enough to have two circuits to choose from with the odd wiring in the area of my house that i record (from the attempted finishing of a bonus room by the previous owner), so my situation is most likely very different than yours. mshilarious definitely gave you a scheme that could work with room left to breath.

Thread Information