Connecting up a rack (compressor, pre-amp, mixer, audio interface) in order to record

JakJak

Hi,
I was wondering whether anyone could help me, in terms of connecting up a compressor, pre-amp, mixer and audio interface to my computer so I can record.

Im a newbie to this complex recording.
At the moment I just run my guitar, mics and midi keyboard through a Tascam US- 122L audio interface into my my computer and record in logic.
But now I think I want to improve my sound with an external rack.
Is that a good idea?
I dont have too much to spend.
How much would I have to spend for an improved sound?
What would connect to what? And how would it work?

Thanks,
Jack

Output goes to input. Other than that, everything in the chain is line level *after* the mic preamp.

THAT SAID -- Most would probably highly recommend "MIC > PREAMP > INTERFACE" and leave it at that. No need for a mixer (unless that's your choice of preamps), no need for compression (which A: should be done in the context of the mix itself and B: makes it far too easy to mess up your gain staging beyond all hope).

A solid preamp is going to give you a pretty solid improvement... Even a M-Audio DMP3 would probably give you quite the confidence boost over the Tascam's built-in preamps (assuming reasonably and proper gain staging is occurring at every possible point in the chain, as A: it's a good idea anyway and B: none of those pieces really has any usable headroom to speak of).

Thanks for the help,
Yeh to connect the mic to the preamp to the interface sounds like the best option.
What socket would the preamp connect to on my tascam interface?
So the DMP3 would be a good option? at around £165 when I looked. Anything else in that price range that you know of?
Cheers

Thanks for the help,
Yeh to connect the mic to the preamp to the interface sounds like the best option.
What socket would the preamp connect to on my tascam interface?
So the DMP3 would be a good option? at around £165 when I looked. Anything else in that price range that you know of?
Cheers

The output from your pre amp will go into the interface. If it's an XLR output, it'll go into the XLR input. If it's a line output, it'll go in the line in. The DMP 3 has only line outputs so you'll have to put it in the line ins on the Tascam.

Back