compressors

I have noticed as a new hobbyist that acoustic instruments are not nearly loud enough to play along with loops and DI
stuff....Garageband has compressors and I am getting better using them...but I wonder if its better to have an external
high quality compressor before the interface....would this improve the signal sound because the GB comps are sort of
synthetic but they do allow some rise in gain..... would a nice analog tube compressor and maybe a hybrid with overdrive be worth a look??

It sounds like the stuff you are playing along to is probably too loud. The acoustic instruments should be recorded at an average level of around -20dBFS and the other tracks should be set so that they are around that level too. If your level is lower than this then simply turn up the gain on your audio interface - many of them need to be turned up to nearly full as all the gain is crammed into the last few degrees of the gain control's range.

I agree with what james stated.

I however would suggest that you upgrade your DAW software that has better quality stock effects, than spending money on outboard gear. A compressor better than a good VST version will likely cost you more than your whole setup. And then will still be limited by the gear you have and lead to more issues.

I am a Cubase guy myself, but I highly recommend getting away from Garage Band. Reaper will do you much better all around.

And never forget, a loud track is not ideal. Keep levels down when recording. Use your master and monitors to bring up volume. There is absolutely no reason EVER to have any track hitting the red zone. Not in the digital world. There is enough headroom and low enough noise floor that you do not need to have tracks hitting above -10 dBFS. Well, percussion stuff sometimes sits good higher than that but that is another topic.

Turn everything else down, turn up your monitors/headphones from the master out buss. Or whatever Garage Band calls it.

Garage Band is more of a writing toy from those I know who use it. Better to make a step to a fully capable DAW that will not waste your time.

rather than start another thread....about overdrives..
I was reading about an overdrive unit from ProAnalog, the Manticore V2. I watched the video also.It seemed like an interesting item
for people who might want a good overdrive sometime in the future. What do you think about it and how does it compare to plug ins.
It is analog I assume so the circuit would sound somewhat different from vst stuff,no??
I would really like to try building my own circuits also...but I would need guidance ...too bad there isnt a school for that..

Back