Compressor Concerns - Please Help

S.C.U.D

Hello All, this is my first go at the forum and i feel alot less advance than some of you guys so please be gentle.

I have just picked up an Alesis 3630 compressor which i intend to use with my Tascam 564 4 track. My question is this. In my tascam manual it shows that the compressor should conected throughb one of the two quarter inch jack "inserts", The diagram shows just one cable being inserted which seems to form a loop around the compressor. My understanding (admittedly somewhat limited) is that you should two cables one from the output and one giong to the input, or should i use the ring/send input ??????

I would be really gratefull for any advice or hints.

Cheer

The S.C.U.D.

You need a cable that has a stereo type 1/4" onnector at one end that "Y"s out to two mono 1/4" connectors. You see, the insert is a send and recieve all in one connector on the mixer. Check your documentaion for the correct pin out of the connector (tip=send, ring=recieve or whatever). Just plug the stereo end into the insert and the appropriate mono's to the ins and outs of the compressor.

Much Thanks To Track Rat

Thanks that's Class. Sorry to be thick here, I get the part about the Y conector and the input being both send and recieve. But i'm a bit lost here (see below)

"Check your documentaion for the correct pin out of the connector (tip=send, ring=recieve or whatever). Just plug the stereo end into the insert and the appropriate mono's to the ins and outs of the compressor."

I don't really understand what you mean. I have checked the manual and the side chain states - Tip=return and ring=send - again i've no idea what this actually means.

Sorry to be a thorn in your side Track Rat but needs must and i've some serious recording to do.

Your help and expertise is greatly appreciated.

The S.C.U.D

It shouldn't really matter how it is wired. Plug the TRS end (the plug with an extra stripe) into your insert jack, and then try plugging the two ends of the "Y" into the input and output jacks of the compressor. If it doesn't pass any signal, just reverse the two compressor plugs and it should work. (There's only two possibilities - one of them will work.)

But an important note (and this is in no way through any fault of yours, so should not be interpreted as a personal criticism): The Alesis 3630 is considered by 99% of the engineers in this world to be considered the worst designed and most useless piece of gear perhaps ever. To try and use this to learn how to get good compressor results will be nothing but an exercise in frustration. Maybe you can sell it on e-bay for $25, and save up for something more useful. Even the dbx 266 (also very cheap) would be superior, as would the Behringer Composer. A real step up would be the FNR-RNC.

I've seen them go for around $60-70 US on average at e-bay.
You're best off either returning it for your money back,
or selling it to get one of the compressors Littledog mentioned.
Another possibility in the under $100 US catagory would be the
Symetrix 525.

Chris

Another good cheap compressor is the Behringer Composer Pro.

(No offense intended Littledog. I use it next to my RNC).

I am using the Behringer Autocom pro compressor and getting good results. Paid 70$ for it at guitar center. Its got all the features I could ask for from a compressor, and its quiet (as quiet as they get, in the 70$ range.)

Long live Behringer!

Lopp said:
Another good cheap compressor is the Behringer Composer Pro.

(No offense intended Littledog. I use it next to my RNC).

not sure why i would be offended, since i recommended it two posts above yours...

that's ok, though. i'm used to being ignored...

Alesis 3630 a compressor in a class of its own

Thanks Trackrat, Lopp, Slackmaster 2000 and especially Littledog For all your help regarding this super compressor i have purchased.

Just to keep you updated i called the supplier who sold me the Alesis 3630 (claiming it was "userfriendly" and "a really nice little compressor") and quoted littledog ( "The Alesis 3630 is considered by 99% of the engineers in this world to be considered the worst designed and most useless piece of gear perhaps ever. To try and use this to learn how to get good compressor results will be nothing but an exercise in frustration")and we after we'd both had a good laugh he agreed to give me my money back.

I have another question. One peice of advice i was given was that if i really wanted to improve the quality of my recordings i should buy a condensor mic, So seeing as i'll shortly be coming into some money what do you rekon - Condensor or compressor????

littledog said:
not sure why i would be offended, since i recommended it two posts above yours...

that's ok, though. i'm used to being ignored...

Whoop! Missed that. Based the comment on the Behringer thread. ;)

SCUD:
A decent condensor mic can be extremely useful. It would help us to know what mic you are already using. Other useful info would be your preamp and recording medium. For example, a condensor wouldn't do much good if you were recording direct into a SoundBlaster.

I'm using a Shure Sm58 at the moment. With a Tascam 564 portastudio, I havent got a pre amp as such (again something I'm looking into). I sometimes put the Mic through My Carlsborough Marlin 1500 6 channel mixer, and then line out into the Tascam. I've got a Lexicon MPX 100 which i am very pleased with and obviously the Alesis which is going back. I have read up and tried using different recording techniques. But I seem to have hit a point where I think i can't really improve the quality of my recodrings without buying some new kit. Hence asking about condenser mics etc.

Back