Compression and Limiting ????

dougschmude

I have a potentially stupid question. Can someone please explain the differences between compression and limiting? Thanks.

Doug
dougschmude@hotmail.com

Compression keeps the signal consistant in level by inceasing or decreasing the amplitude in relavence to the threshold.

Limiting limits (compresses) the amplitude of a signal.

Of course, the ratio, threshold, attack, and release can be varied. Study up on that.

Oppppppps!!! I think I can shed light here.

Limiting so to speak puts a limit on the amplitude of the OUTPUT of the device regardless of how high the input is. Or better put, it puts a ceiling of how loud the output can be. Settings such as threshold, attack, release, make up gain affect to what degree it will do it.

Compression on the other hand changes the amplitude at the ouput of the device in a variable way, depending upon the compression RATIO. After setting a Threshold for compression, the RATIO dictates how much level will output as compared to input.

Let's say that you have a song where the levels constantly are between -4dbm and -10dbm, but, you want it to stay between -10 and -6. The Threshold of the compressor would be set for -10 with a RATIO of 3:1. This means that when the signal exceeds -10 at the input of the comressor, the compressor will only let at the output 1dbm for every 3dbm increase over the Threshold setting, which is -10. So, since -4 is 6dbm louder than -10, you would only get -6dbm at the output of the compressor when the input signal reaches -4dbm. Get it? As the input increase ever the Threshold setting, the compressor kicks in and only allows so much realtive output based upon the compression Threshold and Ratio.

Limiting on the other hand, using the same parameters would only let -10 at the output because a limiter puts a cap on the level of output based upon the Threshold setting. RATIO does not come into play with limiting although, if the dynamic range of the track you are limiting has only a 4db difference between it's lowest and highest level, a 4:1 compression RATIO would act like a limiter if the Threshold was set at the lowest level because the compressor would only allow a 1db increase at the output for every 4db of signal over the Threshold setting. Get it?

Compression and limiting are used for different reasons. Mostly, which you choose depends upon the type of sound you want on the track. Compression usually allows a track to breath a bit more because it allows a variable output level. Limiting keeps the track from ever exceeding a certain volume. Both have uses, both have drawbacks, both can make a track sound sweet, and both can make a track sound aweful. Too much compression and/or limiting will introduce distortion to the signal (if you are using analog devices). Sometimes this distortion really colors the track in a way that is desirable. But in some cases this distortion can ruin the great sounding track. Also, too much compression and/or limiting can ruin the natural dynamics that a track may needed to keep it wholesome sounding in a mix. So, it really comes down to what you would like to do with compression and/or limiting. They both can be used for dynamic control, or for really warping the sound in funny ways. Warping the sound in funny way can be used creatively, but certainly there is no standard for this. It truely depends upon whether it sounds good to you.

Hope this helps.

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

Thanks for the help. I now have an understanding of the two and must experiment to see how they would work best for me.

Doug

[This message has been edited by dougschmude (edited 01-06-2000).]

Back