Cheap Reverb I wish I had once again

int

I used to have this 70's style powered 4 channel mixer that was made by Yamaha. It had a crappy little reverb in it that I liked to use at times. Unfortunately, the wife and I had a rough bout a little while ago and I ended up selling the thing for $15 at a yard sale.

Out of all the things I lost in that sale, that's the thing I miss most. It was, shall we say, a useable piece of trash. It didn't even have XLRs and the speaker out blew a fuse whenever hooked up. But oh man it would be sweet on this metalpunkcore album I'm mixing right now.

Can anyone think of a substitute that's available at the moment?

BTW I already have a Lexicon mpx-100, which I'd be happy to trade...

Cheers.

I had an original 60s Fender spring reverb I sold back in the 80s. Now I see them for $1000 used in places. They were great little units for both guitars and vocals. If you can find one of these they are great. I think the new ones are reasonably priced too.

Another option is one of the Roland Space Echo units. They go from $200 -$500 on ebay and are quite useable for home recording.

A lot of old PA heads had spring reverbs built in and you can check some of these out.

It's hard to know what sort of sound this beloved Yamaha produced to make any suggestions. Have you got any audio examples?

I have this little old (mint condition) analogue echo unit by Echoman called the EM-150. It has -20dB & -50dB 1/4" inputs, a foot switch and single 1/4" output with a 0dB, -20dB & -40dB switch. The controls are volume, balance, repeat & delay. It delivers a very lo-fi echo effect reminiscent of when the Bionic Man would jump over a car or something! It can also produce some nice double tracked, chorus type effects, like some of the Beatles/John Lennon stuff. Not what you'd describe as reverb, but can sound sort of bathroom-like!

I have kept this thing (bought for £10) just in case I needed this 70's Sci-Fi sound. Has anyone ever seen one of these things?

I do actually have a Yamaha SPX50D that I may sell or trade if anyone is interested?

It's hard to know what sort of sound this beloved Yamaha produced to make any suggestions. Have you got any audio examples?

I have this little old (mint condition) analogue echo unit by Echoman called the EM-150. It has -20dB & -50dB 1/4" inputs, a foot switch and single 1/4" output with a 0dB, -20dB & -40dB switch. The controls are volume, balance, repeat & delay. It delivers a very lo-fi echo effect reminiscent of when the Bionic Man would jump over a car or something! It can also produce some nice double tracked, chorus type effects, like some of the Beatles/John Lennon stuff. Not what you'd describe as reverb, but can sound sort of bathroom-like!

I have kept this thing (bought for £10) just in case I needed this 70's Sci-Fi sound.

I do actually have a Yamaha SPX50D that I may sell or trade id anyone is interested?

I have kept this thing (bought for £10) just in case I needed this 70's Sci-Fi sound. Has anyone ever seen one of these things?

I do actually have a Yamaha SPX50D that I may sell or trade id anyone is interested?

Mr Funk said:

Not off hand, but it wouldn't be worth it anyways. It was cheesy and annoying, but for some reason it worked for me.

Old PA heads would have exactly what I'm looking for though. Maybe I should just give my ears a break and leave the house to go look for one.

Well, maybe tomorrow... :)

i am assuming that the mixer had a little spring reverb...

in which case there are a million cool little and big spring reverb units all over the world. they should all get pretty close, in one way or another.

i think danelectro currently manufactures a spring reverb pedal. also you can just order an accutronics tank and put one together if you have any soldering skills...

also look on ebay for orbans, furmans, umm.. there are a bunch more.

i have a Great British Spring. which is a cool large spring tank. everything i send to it sounds pretty cool... cant always use it, but it never sounds bad.. just inappropriate sometimes.

Back