Thread: Cheap DI Setup for Country/Jangly Rock

Thanks

Cheap DI Setup for Country/Jangly Rock

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm looking for a reasonably affordable DI setup ($300 or so) to run into my computer. I will be recording using Cakewalk Guitar Studio 2, which has some limited effects.

I grew up playing live through amps and stomp boxes (including an old Ibanez Tube Screamer that I loved) and I don't know anything about all the new "amp modelers."

What I'm looking for is a setup that will range from slightly-chorused jangly (e.g. early R.E.M.) to slightly warm, sort of tubey without a whole bunch of distortion.

I don't want a spend a bunch of time flipping through a series of amp and cabinet combos that I'll never use. I'm just looking for a unit with a few basic, but realistic sounding, amp sounds and effects.

In good ol' Musician's Friend and some other threads, some possibilities I've seen are:

J-Station, POD 2.0, Yamaha D.G. Stomp, SansAmp GT-2, and Genesis 3.

BTW, I have invested in a decent quality mic, but I bought it with a mind toward vocal and acoustic guitar stuff rather than micing an amp. However, if what I should really be concentrating on a is a simple effects unit (e.g. Digitech RP-100) and a small recording tube amp, I'd like to know what your thoughts might be on that.
    I suggested a DI setup mainly because I'm just going to be doing home recording, not gigging, and don't want a real noisy setup (either on the recording or in the house.)

Thanks!

Thanks
    spend another 200 and get the Avalon U5...

you'll never regret world class.

I bought a Sansamp once and ditched it for that.

Thanks
    Wes, I thought the U5 did very few things extremely well.

I know Tex said he doesn't want too many effects he won't use but will the U5 give him the TS-9 like overdrive?

I wouldn't recommend a pod, though. That's for sure. Too crunchy for toob lovers. I've read the new XT has improved on the clean and bluesier tones where the original was lacking. that might be worth checking out.

as for easy amp setups, I own a Fender blues Jr. amp. It's a small 1x12 inch tube amp and I love it for recording. I do a fair amount of tweaking with Sonar's Amp sims but it doesn't sound too far from what you suggested.

try them both out and see what'cha think.

miles

Thread Information