Cheap DI Setup for Country/Jangly Rock

TexasPete

I'm looking for a reasonably affordable DI setup ($300 or so) to run into my computer. I will be recording using Cakewalk Guitar Studio 2, which has some limited effects.

I grew up playing live through amps and stomp boxes (including an old Ibanez Tube Screamer that I loved) and I don't know anything about all the new "amp modelers."

What I'm looking for is a setup that will range from slightly-chorused jangly (e.g. early R.E.M.) to slightly warm, sort of tubey without a whole bunch of distortion.

I don't want a spend a bunch of time flipping through a series of amp and cabinet combos that I'll never use. I'm just looking for a unit with a few basic, but realistic sounding, amp sounds and effects.

In good ol' Musician's Friend and some other threads, some possibilities I've seen are:

J-Station, POD 2.0, Yamaha D.G. Stomp, SansAmp GT-2, and Genesis 3.

BTW, I have invested in a decent quality mic, but I bought it with a mind toward vocal and acoustic guitar stuff rather than micing an amp. However, if what I should really be concentrating on a is a simple effects unit (e.g. Digitech RP-100) and a small recording tube amp, I'd like to know what your thoughts might be on that.
I suggested a DI setup mainly because I'm just going to be doing home recording, not gigging, and don't want a real noisy setup (either on the recording or in the house.)

Thanks!

Wes, I thought the U5 did very few things extremely well.

I know Tex said he doesn't want too many effects he won't use but will the U5 give him the TS-9 like overdrive?

I wouldn't recommend a pod, though. That's for sure. Too crunchy for toob lovers. :) I've read the new XT has improved on the clean and bluesier tones where the original was lacking. that might be worth checking out.

as for easy amp setups, I own a Fender blues Jr. amp. It's a small 1x12 inch tube amp and I love it for recording. I do a fair amount of tweaking with Sonar's Amp sims but it doesn't sound too far from what you suggested.

try them both out and see what'cha think.

miles

Back