Channel Strip choices...

kragbax

I'm looking to pick up a channel strip in the $500 range. It would be used virtually exclusively for vocals. Without being able to A/B any of them, I've come up with three in that price range that seem to be liked and get good reviews. Just wondering what the general opinion was on them before laying out the cash.
Safe Sound P1 - which can be picked up for $500 new (plus the cost of the rack ears ($25). Seems to get great reviews - and I haven't read anything bad about it. Only 'downside' I've read is there is no EQ, but perhaps the EQ isn't needed with this one? Thoughts?
Presonus Eureka - I can pick one up for about $420 new. I've read both good and bad about this unit. Some seem to love it, others say they sent it back. It does seem to be a rather 'complete' channel strip.
Toft EC-1 - Can get new for about $500. Haven't read a thing about it. A relatively new 'manufacturer' and apparently not very marketed. However Fletcher's (Mercenary) review on the two channel version (ATC-2) raved about it's EQ and seemed to admire the unit. The Pre's, he said, weren't up to high end gear but (paraphrase)'certainly stand up to (the similar priced)Presonus and Focusrite' gear. The EC-1 is the single channel version, though the ATC-2's raved EQ is modified in this version :(

I wouldn't expect a $1000 two channel pre to stand up well against a $2500 single channel of course. Nor a $500 single vs. a $1200. But the reality is I'm just going to be doing my own "analogesque" recording - home recording, at a notch or two above the low end gear. I'm not looking for a Pre only, as I've got the RNP - I'm looking for some flavor/variety.

krag. a bit of recording history.
you may not have heard the toft name. but do a google search on
trident mixing consoles and malcolm toft.
you will find the toft name is no newcomer to pro audio and has a rich interesting history in recording.

Thanks manning!

Actually I know about Malcom Toft and I certainly respect his (previous) work. But previous great work doesn't necessarily equate to current great products either. Times being what they are, manufacturing practices, quality control, 'cutting corners' to keep costs in line, etc. As I mentioned I became interested in the 2 channel ATC-2 after reading Fletchers review on it. $1000 for a dual channel 'channel strip' that had pre's that stacked up to the $650 single channel Focusrite and EQ that blows everything else away? Sounded like a great deal (In fact I can probably pick up the ATC-2 for $800 - so I might just go that route).

However a year after the ATC-2 release, and good luck finding any other reviews on it. The single channel (EC-1) has basically no reviews, the ATC-2 has one other review (aside from Fletchers) that I could find - linked off the Toft site, and there's nothing on the DC-2 2 channel compressor that's been released. Basically NOTHING is being said on these products. It can't help but make me wonder with a name like 'Toft' attached, how come there is simply nothing being said about them? Presonus Eureka - you can find a dozen review on it. Even the Safe Sound P1 has several reviews on it.
I just can't afford to gamble money on a product that might be awesome, but may very well stink compared to others in the similar price zone. So I was hoping that some of the forum members can give feedback on having tried any or all of these units. What they liked or didn't. Perhaps there are other $400-600 channel strips out there worth considering?

I currently have the RNP, and I'll probably be looking to build my next few pre's (Seventh Circle)

But with so many topics on just Pre's - how about some opinions on Strips?!

Thanks

-Krag

I think everyone here knows I love the P1 and we started Front End Audio because of it. I use 2 everyday with dbx 242 eq's(Orban designed units, nice...check eBay, Harvey G. turned me onto these so we turned Harvey onto the P1) inserted and it's a strong setup. I found my dbx 242's in mint shape for $250 for the pair. Great eq's...thanks again Harvey!

But a channel strip I recently started using, the Drawmer Tubestation TS1 (we've become a dealer for them also) is a very versatile piece with rock n' roll color out the booty! It's not a real clean unit like the Safe Sound Audio stuff, but it's a heck of a flavor and performs multiple functions as well. I like the fact that you can use the stereo compressor and mic pre / DI separately.

The tube blend feature is hit and miss.

These clips are extreme...exTREME I tell ya...just to show the flavor available when pushed:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2079&alid=-1

The first two clips are run through the TS1 bypassed (vocals and drum / bass stereo buss) and the second two clips are with the compressor and a little tube blend. Anyway, it's a cool box for rock edge slightly distorted stuff. I used the optional converters to run some clips out and back into Nuendo 2 via an RME9652 SPDIF.

War

I know its not on your list but you should check out a used Voicemaster Pro. In your price range and has an excellent sound for vocals.

acorec, you just haven't recorded enough singers yet.
The better they are, the worse on remembering lyrics. (just kidding)

I get the impression that Malcolm is mainly just the owner, plus that kind of stuff can be fun and mean a lot to whomever the CD is given to.

Chris

kragbax , I'll second Richard M for the M-Audio Tampa. Great box. The price has been reduced to around $399, maybe less if you look around. Nice sweet pre with switchable impedance, excellent opto comp, and a digital out standard. It's one of the better deals on the market, IMO. I even thought it was a deal when it was $599.

I've looked at the Tampa, and even considered it heavily recently. I have seen some good reviews on it. I'm not all that concerned with digital though as I'm not using a DAW (using a Mackie 8 buss to an Alesis HD24), and though I might record directly to the HD24 I'll be mixing on the 8 buss.

So the P1 has a vote or two, and the Focusrite Voicemaster Pro has a write in vote as well. I actually had a Voicemaster Pro, but didn't get a chance to use it. Decided to go with a higher end signal chain so I sent it back. Hehe.. then I picked up the RNP. Now I'm looking for a vocal strip to have a little variety.
I've thought about picking up something like an Octopre to lay down tracks directly to the HD24, then mixing through the console. Is the Octopre any good? ($599 for 8 preamps and ADAT out is a bargain, and I'd probably never record more then 8 at a time. Can't imagine for the price it's be all that spectacular, but then again if I could run a better chain through the Octopre, possibly just using it for the ADAT out for vocals and such it might ba a good deal? I don't know - I'm still learning)

And this is aside from the Channel Strip, which I still want and plan on picking up regardless of the OctoPre :) So continue to fill me in on any good (or bad!) strips out there in the $500-600 range (Frankly I'm flexible - if there's a great one for $700-800 or so, I'd consider it. But I don't want a straight Pre!)

Thanks

-Krag

acorec said:
My god, Malcolm has stuped to this level? What next, a Toft Mr. Microphone?
www.pulse-disco.co.uk/recording_studio.htm

On reading this web site, I did something I haven't done in a long time -- I burst out laughing, spitting Sierra Nevada Pale Ale all over my monitor. What the hell is going on? I was ready to buy a Toft Audio Designs pre . . . now my dream is shattered. Cannot reconcile . . . feel aneurysm coming on . . .

Lesson learned: After Bonanza, Lorne Green starting pushing Alpo dog food on the tube. The next thing you know, he IS dog food.

Tell Me More About The Atc-2?!

kragbax said:
I'm looking to pick up a channel strip in the $500 range. It would be used virtually exclusively for vocals. Without being able to A/B any of them, I've come up with three in that price range that seem to be liked and get good reviews. Just wondering what the general opinion was on them before laying out the cash.
Safe Sound P1 - which can be picked up for $500 new (plus the cost of the rack ears ($25). Seems to get great reviews - and I haven't read anything bad about it. Only 'downside' I've read is there is no EQ, but perhaps the EQ isn't needed with this one? Thoughts?
Presonus Eureka - I can pick one up for about $420 new. I've read both good and bad about this unit. Some seem to love it, others say they sent it back. It does seem to be a rather 'complete' channel strip.
Toft EC-1 - Can get new for about $500. Haven't read a thing about it. A relatively new 'manufacturer' and apparently not very marketed. However Fletcher's (Mercenary) review on the two channel version (ATC-2) raved about it's EQ and seemed to admire the unit. The Pre's, he said, weren't up to high end gear but (paraphrase)'certainly stand up to (the similar priced)Presonus and Focusrite' gear. The EC-1 is the single channel version, though the ATC-2's raved EQ is modified in this version :(

I wouldn't expect a $1000 two channel pre to stand up well against a $2500 single channel of course. Nor a $500 single vs. a $1200. But the reality is I'm just going to be doing my own "analogesque" recording - home recording, at a notch or two above the low end gear. I'm not looking for a Pre only, as I've got the RNP - I'm looking for some flavor/variety.

I can't find anything on that unit either. I was heavily thinking about getting one and been waiting for reviews to pop out and all I got was fletchers and some other commercial stuff. Sooo... I'm concidering something else. I duno what yet, i dunno.. im fuxed.

We're dealers for the Tubestation too... we just choose not to. Funny how I don't seem to have a problem with my little Toft box sitting in the same rack with shit like the Great River EQ-2NV, a Manley Massive Passive, a Drawmer 1968 and 1969, Crane Song stuff and distressors but y'all are waiting for "reviews" before you try it.

Brother... I'd recommend you give it a shot... you have damn little to lose, damn near everything to gain. This paralysis of analysis shit has got to conclude at some point... ya know, it's all just tools... would a mechanic not buy an open end wrench because he wasn't sure if a box wrench, a socket wrench or an open end wrench will get more use?

For every job there is a tool, doesn't mean you always have the absolute 100% bestest tool on the planet for your exact application... but chances are if you know how to use the tools you have fairly well, you'll get by.

FWIW... if you try the Toft box and it works for you you're ahead of the game, if you try the Toft box and it doesn't work for you, you're still ahead of the game because you've eliminated it as an option. Talking to guys on internet boards who also haven't heard the thing is really kind a waste of time in my book... but as always... YMMV

acorec said:
My god, Malcolm has stuped to this level? What next, a Toft Mr. Microphone?

That's pretty funny stuff...how many "off Broadway" plays are there?? I think he's just having fun with it.

War :D

Fletcher said:
We're dealers for the Tubestation too... we just choose not to. Funny how I don't seem to have a problem with my little Toft box sitting in the same rack with shit like the Great River EQ-2NV, a Manley Massive Passive, a Drawmer 1968 and 1969, Crane Song stuff and distressors but y'all are waiting for "reviews" before you try it.

Brother... I'd recommend you give it a shot... you have damn little to lose, damn near everything to gain. This paralysis of analysis shit has got to conclude at some point... ya know, it's all just tools... would a mechanic not buy an open end wrench because he wasn't sure if a box wrench, a socket wrench or an open end wrench will get more use?

For every job there is a tool, doesn't mean you always have the absolute 100% bestest tool on the planet for your exact application... but chances are if you know how to use the tools you have fairly well, you'll get by.

FWIW... if you try the Toft box and it works for you you're ahead of the game, if you try the Toft box and it doesn't work for you, you're still ahead of the game because you've eliminated it as an option. Talking to guys on internet boards who also haven't heard the thing is really kind a waste of time in my book... but as always... YMMV

Ok I get that, but obviously we're not in the same situation. I've never touched a preamp or recorded anything yet and I don't have big money.

Fletcher, how would you compare the ATC-2 pres with the RNP ?

I've found the RNP pre's to be a measure clearer... but comparatively, I think the ATC-2 pre's are every bit as good as a Grace design's and better than any Presonus I've ever tried.

I don't understand why these things aren't in every home studio other than they're not sold in Banjo Marts... they're quite acceptable units, not just "for the money", but overall quite acceptable units.

Fletcher,

With you on the ATC-2 -- seems like a solid choice for the home studio. For $1,000, I don't see anything better out there.

Maybe you can help me figure out a solution for ambient noise. Lots of computer fans, disk drives, A/C, low-level street noise. Can't do much about most of it. Can you recommend a hardware gate/expander (or other solution) that I could use with the ATC-2 to knockout the background? Work is mostly voice over through a Rode NTK which seems to pick up a mouse fart in the next county. Ideas?

A safe sound P1 has a solid expander that will eliminate any noise in the room, even the vocalist if you turn it up high enough. I recently acquired one and in some instances run a mic into the P1, into the toft atc-2 (for the eq) into the Rumour and off to the Korg. It is finally easy for me to get a great sound time after time. It is really a great home studio set up and I can handle anything that comes along, so far anyway.

Ok thanks fletcher, tuco and big kenny.

I'll grab one.

If it sounds comparable to the Grace and close enough of a RNP, it's gonna be all good.

+ it's way sexier than the others.

Out of curiosity, do preamp make any noise? Room noise, not signal noise.
Like.. is there some kind of fan in the atc-2 or anything that makes ambient noise?

Back