Can I expand I/O on digi002? with a MOTU?

bfantastic

I've heard you can expand the inputs of a Digi002 with a presonus firepod...but can I do this with a MOTU 896? If so, how do I do it? I linked the ADAT optical out from the Digi to the ADAT IN on the MOTU, but doesn't seem to recognize in either logic or pro tools. Anyone know about this stuff?

Thanks
b

SonicAlbert said:
You need to do it the other way, take the ADAT output of the MOTU into the Digi 002.
Right, but this doesnt give him more I/O. Still 18 anyway you cut it on the 002. Maybe the 003 will be out sometime soon.

Eddie

Right, but I guess I read his post differently. It seems like he just wants to expand the analog inputs on the 002, not the total inputs.

I'd really love to a Digi 003 with at least 24 channels of inputs. Something like a couple ADAT banks, plus a bank of 8 analog, plus an AES and SPDIF. Having just one SPDIF I/O is one of the roughest aspects of the box, as far as practical day to day use, in my opinion. Or just make it so that a couple 002's can be stacked.

Yeah, I'm just looking to get more analog inputs happening so I can record live band sessions with around 10-11 mics.

SonicAlbert said:
Right, but I guess I read his post differently. It seems like he just wants to expand the analog inputs on the 002, not the total inputs.

I'd really love to a Digi 003 with at least 24 channels of inputs. Something like a couple ADAT banks, plus a bank of 8 analog, plus an AES and SPDIF. Having just one SPDIF I/O is one of the roughest aspects of the box, as far as practical day to day use, in my opinion. Or just make it so that a couple 002's can be stacked.

SonicAlbert said:

Hey Albert,

Yep guess I just typed without really understanding his end goal. (sorry about that).
Not too hijack this guys thread but man, only 1 adat in, is killing me. Two 002's being linked would definately do it for me. I have been thinking of jumping ship to another app but cant bring myself to do it. Im hopeful that 003 will address most of our needs. But you know as well as I do that this next unit will not be anywhere near the 002's price range when it came out.

Eddie

Hi Albert,

Thanks for the suggestion before.
So I tried the ADAT out of the MOTU in to the 002 ADAT, but still no luck. Do I need to set up or change anything in my app settings. Or anything else for that matter?

SonicAlbert said:
You need to do it the other way, take the ADAT output of the MOTU into the Digi 002.

bfantastic said:
Hi Albert,

Thanks for the suggestion before.
So I tried the ADAT out of the MOTU in to the 002 ADAT, but still no luck. Do I need to set up or change anything in my app settings. Or anything else for that matter?

I'm not sure why this isn't working. The analog inputs of the MOTU should go to the ADAT output, which then goes to the ADAT input on the 002. Your PT software should recognize the 002 just as it normally would. I'm assuming all the audio routing is set up properly in PT?

Maybe it's my routing. Everything seems to work fine...the 002 is recognized, and it shows that I have 8 or so ADAT inputs along with the analogue inputs . But when I set to an ADAT input, I get no signal.
So I'm not sure.

SonicAlbert said:
I'm not sure why this isn't working. The analog inputs of the MOTU should go to the ADAT output, which then goes to the ADAT input on the 002. Your PT software should recognize the 002 just as it normally would. I'm assuming all the audio routing is set up properly in PT?

i know for a fact that only one digi002 can be linked. if you are using a digital output such as adat, than you are not necessarily adding inputs. you have a total capacity of 18. you can purchase an 8 channel mic pre w/ adat outs such as the behringer ada800, $229, presonus digimax lt or 96k, those are about 700, and i think 1100. the only way to increase the total imputs would be to have a separte firewire imput device, but that is not possible because protools and such only support one device at a time. as for a 24+ track solution, you would have to go with the Digidesign HD systems. the digi 003 will probably not have 24 tracks or anything above 18 for that matter due to the fact that they have higher end systems and if you desire additional imputs, they want you to spend more money on that stuff.

good luck!

bfantastic said:
Maybe it's my routing. Everything seems to work fine...the 002 is recognized, and it shows that I have 8 or so ADAT inputs along with the analogue inputs . But when I set to an ADAT input, I get no signal.
So I'm not sure.

You need to use the MOTU's CueMix console to route the analog inputs to the ADAT outputs.

Although, now that I think about it, if this isn't an 896HD ..... the original 896 doesn't support CueMix. I don't think the original 896 offers internal routing of the analog inputs to the ADAT outputs. They are only accessible via your sequencer (other than ProTools).

Sorry, I guess my post is likely to be of no help in that case.

The easiest way to add another 8 inputs to the digi 002 is with an Alesis AI-3 unit, which is 8 1/4inch jack inputs/outputs with an ADAT lightpipe input/output as well.

These go on Ebay for around $150 used or $200 new(ish).

Granted the unit doesnt have mic pre's, but if you're using a 16ch desk then that doesnt matter anyway.

Back