Buying a rack.. what else do i need?

skweeks

I'm still building my little home recording / project studio in my basement... I've got 1 rackmountable outboard effect thing now and i'm purchasing a art dual mp mic preamp so that'd be another slot... i guess it's time i setup a rack for my studio... i'm not planning to move it aroud at much, and it wouldn't be leaving the house.. would the Raxxess ER20 Rack Case (99$) be okay? It's got way more spaces than i can currently fill but then again i won't need to get another for a long time (if ever)... or should i go for a SKB rack that has like 1/5 amount of rack spaces for the same money but seems to be cased better?

Also what other things do i need? rack rails? screws? i'm clueless of what i need.

The screws and normal mounting hardware will come with the SKB stuff for sure, and should be included with any rack case you get. I like the SKB stuff myself, but if you aren't hitting the road for a world tour it might not be necessary.

The skb rack stuff is great and solid, but its pricey due to its road worthy ruggedness. Personally I built all my own stuff with a few rails. I do most all of my work sitting right at the PC desk. Out went the printer from the little cubby shelf, and in went a pair of rails. Same with my rolling printer table. All my outboard gear is at arms length and tweak range. And the cost for tossing it all together was probably 20 bucks. If you have a screw gun and a bit of time you will be doing yourself a favor by customizing your rig.

I also built my rack. I made it to sit on top of a desk that was 48" x 30". It splits into two racks with a divider down the middle. It holds 12 things on each side. I made it for a $40 and one sunday of time. Well worth it. I would definately suggest buying some rails and building one yourself.

Quiklok makes an elbow rack for around $30 whick holds ten rack spaces worth of gear... It is sturdy and has easy rear access (kinda like my woman). It is basically 5 pieces of metal screwed together... Perfect for the desktop studio.

Axxman makes an 8 space elbow rack like the one S8-N just described. Musician's Friend has it for $12. On top of that, you would just need screws & washers.

Back